Thursday, March 29, 2007

Moving: Is There A Doctor in the House?

There are aches and pains in places I didn’t know existed. Or, at least forgot existed. OK, so I’m old.

The phone began to ring at about 8:30 yesterday morning. It rang again a few minutes later, and then again within a half hour. The first two were on their way and ready to help move boxes containing my life to the new place. The third called to say that they’d be here in the afternoon to pick up the slack…or me.

Fortunately, the morning duo had vehicles with lots of storage space and it was quickly determined that much more than boxes would be moved that day. We loaded up and made our way to the new place.

Problem: there are two cats loose in the house. Meaning, we cannot hold the door open as we transfer our loads to the various places throughout the house. It had to be one-at-a-time. Oy!

After that first trip the imagination kicked in (not mine, my brain is singed) and one friend suggested that we could take on more than just boxes….his cape flowing in the wind.

So, we began to measure and organize small pieces of furniture and stuffed the caverns of our cars with more boxes and the furnishings as well. I was huffing, and impressed.

One friend was done for the day. Not physically, but had an afternoon appointment in another town and had to leave us. So, my organizational genius and I put our two vehicles to the test one more time and transported items for the kitchen and bath. He left to run a few errands and get ready for an evening dinner out with the guys. I would not be attending.

When I returned I found a message waiting from the third caller (see above) who was on his way over to help. Frantically, I packed more boxes and measured a couple of chairs to find out if they would fit in my car. They would. But maybe not both.

Having just returned from a job interview, my friend arrives in dress clothes. Not to worry, he takes off the tie, loosens his collar, and digs in. Amazing.

We succeed in getting both chairs into my car, with his back seats down (he has a Forrester) his car takes almost all of the remaining boxes. I take what's left.

Now a pro at taking back roads to get to the new digs, I caravan with him and we (again) have to deal with two insurgent kitties. When we are done, he heads home to get ready for the same evening out with the guys – I will not be attending.

All said they would call in the morning to see what they could do… I was so tired.

I see Bengay in my future.

Asked out to dinner by a friend. Grace! Facing any kind of cooking machinery would have driven me over the edge at that point. It was a great time; I had a martini, and as my shoulders finally began to relax, I reviewed the day and laughed and shared stories that I had not really noticed earlier in the day.

NOTE: This was to be posted last evening. Sorry.

If I can still move I will post about today. Not as riveting as this post but, interesting nonetheless.

More later.

*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...