Saturday, January 17, 2009

Cold, Cooking, and Cool News

Rumors were rampant around here that we were in for extremely low temperatures over the weekend beginning with a possibility of snow showers on Friday evening. It was gray and windy all day and certainly felt like snow all day. It didn't.

With all this in mind I stocked up on groceries and supplies enabling me to hibernate for the weekend. So glad I did. It was 2 degrees when I woke this morning and it’s only up to 8 as I write this. There's the possibility of getting into the double-digits by the afternoon, before plunging again tonight.

I have no plans to leave the place until I head to work on Monday. I’ve already cooked a huge batch of BBQ ribs, and am now enjoying the smell of a chicken and veggie soup simmering in the Crockpot. Then there’s the 2 pounds of ground turkey that I’ve mixed with diced onions, parsley, sweet basil, Lea & Perrins, and black & white pepper. In a few hours it will be ready to shape into burgers and individually frozen for quick lunches or light suppers. If I am not ‘all cooked out’ after this, I may make a chili, too. I love hot chili in the winter. With the exception of the turkey burgers, everything can be taken for lunch at work, or evening meals after long days.

I was on the receiving end of some very good news yesterday. A call from the hospital letting me know that they had reduced the ER charges from November because I qualified for a state program for folks without insurance. I was mystified. I didn’t know of such a program. It’s not an insurance plan, but it seems they’ve found that the uninsured are more willing to pay for services at a lower rate rather than skipping out on the responsibility altogether. Sixty percent of the bill was knocked off and they set up a monthly payment plan that will be a tight squeeze, but doable. It will take a year to pay it off, but it’s better than what I would have had to deal with otherwise.

A phone message from my doctor’s office was waiting for me when I got in yesterday; when I returned the call I was informed that my doctor is in association with the hospital’s plan and that 60% would be lopped off my future office visits. It’s still hard to believe, and it’s likely that it won’t really sink in until I get the membership cards in the mail next week.

Now if I can find another part time job, 2009 will be looking a hell of a lot better than the previous two years. It’s like crawling out of a very deep hole – to see a glimmer of light – and that’s a good thing.

And so it goes.

*

2 comments:

  1. Cajun, you know God work in mysterious ways.

    Have a great weekend, enjoy the chili and tomorrows broadcast of the start of President Obama's inauguration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The food sounds delicous! and the break on the medical bills even better!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...