Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Obama Presidency: Sorting it Out

It’s been 36 hours, and what an amazing ride it has been. When I woke this morning thinking I was prepared to write about my feelings regarding the events of yesterday (G*d, it feels more like a week ago) I hadn’t connected events to myself and my personal experiences when I actually worked on campaigns.

I’ve spent the day in quiet and occasional prayer for the changes begun today, and for the future.

I worked yesterday so listening to NPR was my only connection to the events of the day. I experienced chills, goose bumps, tears, laughter, and sadness.


Sound familiar?


I got back to the apartment in time to see the “stroll” and parade. Watching via the networks was distracting with the voiceovers, commercial breaks, and pundits mouthing off, so I went over to C-SPAN. Ah, no interruptions, which meant there was no editing, or cutting away from, the Lesbian and Gay Band’s appearance. The cheers from the crowd were audible as the band strutted its stuff.

Watching and listening as I prepared the evening meal, I sat down to eat after the LGBA left the neighborhood. I had no appetite at first, too wrapped up and hypersensitive to the events of the day.


I cracked open a bottle of wine, put the food on hold, and as I enjoyed a moment of celebration – the relief that Bush was gone – with my glass held high I found that I couldn’t go deeper. That wasn’t the time. I had no idea why then, but I do now. My brain was full and couldn’t handle any more stimulus, or new possibilities. That may sound bizarre, but I’m sure you’ve had such moments, as well.


I visited a few “Christian” sites this morning (an eye opening experience, to say the least) and virtually all of them are writing their prayers for President Obama’s early demise, so that a ‘real’ Christian Man can step in. (I see Stoopid People!) The christianists give me chills because they stand by what they write and say – I mean, the idea that all men are created equal in God’s eyes is blasphemy to them – and their vitriol today was saved for the real black president than it was for Clinton.

This is a bit rambling and for that I apologize. It’s been such a quiet and peaceful day and I am grateful for that.


The peace was important today.


It’s cocktail time and I smell olives.

2 comments:

  1. I read one sight that begrudginly noted that the scriptures called them to "pray for those in authority" so they were praying - for Obama to be converted to "a real Christian"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was riveted to the tube all day. I have been surprised and impressed by the events of Wednesday and Thursday too.

    JJC

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...