Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Oath and the Oaf

Does anybody at FOX Noise ever watch the videos they air and make stupid comments about? Example:

Wallace: "I have to say I'm not sure Barack Obama really is the President of the United States because the oath of office is set in the Constitution and I wasn't at all convinced that even after he tried to amend it that John Roberts ever got it out straight and that Barack Obama ever said the prescribed words. I suspect that everybody is going to forgive him and allow him to take over as president, but I'm not sure he actually said what's in the Constitution, there."

Then there’s this:

Chief Justice John Roberts is a man who has made very few public missteps in his life -- but he appears to have made one when swearing in Barack Obama. Roberts slightly flubbed the oath, which then tripped up Obama.

The oath is contained in the Constitution: "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

But when Roberts swore in Obama, he flipped some of the words, saying: "I will execute the office of president to the United States faithfully."

Here's the transcript:

ROBERTS: Are you prepared to take the oath, Senator?

OBAMA: I am.

ROBERTS: I, Barack Hussein Obama...

OBAMA: I, Barack...

ROBERTS: do solemnly swear...

OBAMA: I, Barack Hussein Obama, do solemnly swear...

ROBERTS: that I will execute the office of president to the United States faithfully...

OBAMA: that I will execute...

ROBERTS: faithfully the office of president of the United States...

OBAMA: the office of president of the United States faithfully...

ROBERTS: and will to the best of my ability...

OBAMA: and will to the best of my ability...

ROBERTS: preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.

OBAMA: preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.

ROBERTS: So help you God?

OBAMA: So help me God.

ROBERTS: Congratulations, Mr. President.

It's called a transcript, Chris, I'm sure you've heard of them, if not read any personally.


Jeez, the man was sworn in about 5 minutes before the stoopid began oozing out at Rupert's House.


And so it goes.

*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...