Saturday, January 3, 2009

An Unfamiliar Experience

On New Year’s Day, after work, I answered an ad for a job that appeared in last Tuesday’s paper. It was one of those “apply in person” ads.

Upon arrival I was told they weren’t seeing applicants and to return “another time” which I found a rather odd phrase, especially since this is a new and very upscale Hotel.

Well, over the top, IMHO, for a beach resort hotel that’s located almost 4 blocks from the Atlantic, and not beach front on the Riviera, if you get my drift.

Anyway, I was back on the scene Friday morning facing the same queen as the day before. However, this time I was told that the position was already filled and they would be interviewing again in March.

Puzzled, I asked why he didn't tell me that yesterday. He shrugged, half-smiled and I was dismissed as he disappeared beneath the front desk and shuffled papers. I said (rather loudly) "Thanks, anyway" and left.

I don’t know what that was all about, but as I drove back to the apartment I noticed that the whole episode happened without the nervousness and tension usually experienced when anticipating an interview. I wasn’t even pissed that I was so rudely dissed out of hand. If fact, after I sent an email to the friend who gave me the heads-up on the ad, I didn’t give it a thought as I prepared dinner then watched a DVD before turning in.

Oddly enough I feel very much at peace again today. I slept in later than usual and had a quiet breakfast before realizing that my whole being was uncharacteristically calm. There were no ‘must do’ items on my gay agenda today, so this was a perfect day for a bit of introspection, addressing nothing in particular; allowing everything to wash over me.

With the sun out and the wind calmed, a vigorous walk on the boardwalk was the proper ending to the afternoon.

I wonder if this is part of a new me for the New Year, or if this emotional calm is simply paying a holiday visit only to leave Monday morning before breakfast. I’ve never liked one-weekend stands.

Note: the poster was received from a friend in NOLA and I had no idea what else to do with it. Thanks DT, I think.

And so it goes.

*

3 comments:

  1. I know I need to return to that attitude of calm as an apporach to all things in life. I hope you hold fast to it and model it for us all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have watched you evolve from a quivering, puzzled, mass of insecurities and self-doubt to a strong, self assured and confident man over the last year since your life was turned upside down back in the summer of 2006. This is not a temporary state you are in, this is the new you. A song comes to mind. Ummmm, I can't place the name but it was sung by Helen Reddy. You can handle anything now. Getting dissed by a pompous queen is nothing to you. A mere fly swat. You have arrived. You are strong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It shows what they think of their customers too. Not interested but only in for the money.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...