Saturday, January 10, 2009

Friday

I had a good feeling about Friday. I had my to-do list and planned the day carefully to minimize mileage and time.

First up was a PC visit to Microsoft to download security updates for Windows XP. Turns out MS doesn’t support XP any longer and when I searched the site I found this:

If your Microsoft product was preinstalled, distributed with your computer, or if you obtained an upgrade directly from your computer manufacturer, your primary source for support is the personal computer manufacturer who provided your Microsoft software. Browse this alphabetical list of OEMs to find the appropriate support number.

Nice Huh?

When one clicks the link labeled “XP Professional” the new page hawks the lovely Windows Vista – an attempt to sell an upgrade from XP to Vista for $200.00!

When I purchased my present PC last year it came loaded with Vista, so I had no other choice because most major manufacturers were forced to discontinue preloading XP. Like many others unfortunate enough to be stuck with Vista I struggled to get around the built in redundancy, the fact that Vista was not compatible with some programs, and the damned wizards to get to my work. Intuitive, my ass!

Anyway, knowing my boss would not spring for the Vista Upgrade, I settled for a download of updated XP drivers instead.

The work day went quickly and smoothly; everyone visiting the store seemed in a good mood. Well, it was Friday, after all, and I am off the entire weekend.

After work, though it was windy, I took a walk on the boardwalk and get a little sun on this lilywhite body. Even if only on the face. My plan is to walk more this Spring and Summer and the boardwalk is the best place around. It is exactly 1 mile from end to end making it easy to count the distance of each walk.

Ran a few errands and stopped for a little grocery shopping on the way back to the apartment.

Having changed out of business drag I made a festive martini and turned on the news. Big mistake, that. All the screeching, arguing, hand-wringing, made me dizzy, so I switched over to the History Channel airing a documentary about Greece and relaxed before cooking supper.

I decided to prepare one of Peter’s recipes found here, ‘Salmon Filets with a Balsamic Glaze’ - which turned out to be the most satisfying part of the day. I was going to take a picture, but couldn't wait, so I eated it instead. Delicious memories.

Aside from the MS debacle everything went as planned. Can’t ask for more than that.

And so it goes.

*

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad Microsoft's greed and arrogance didn't spoil your otherwise lovely day to relax and contemplate. I just finished my nightmare of the Vista "upgrade." Someone please tell me how my life is better now that I'm using Vista. What am I missing here other than the money I wasted on it? The greed, arrogance and hubris of Gates and Ballmer knows no bounds. Who would've thunk that Double You would have competition for stupidity?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, ain't gonna go Vista! No way! When XP dies it will be Linux (Ubuntu).

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...