Saturday, September 26, 2009

DISH TV: Good News and Bad News

Isn't it always thus?

A real, live, fully animated, and knowledgeable DISH technician (aka troubleshooter of contractor's stoopid install mistakes) arrived this morning at 11 am. He spent the first half hour listening to what we wanted for the house and my apartment, then got out his trusty hipsack and went to work. If I had a quarter every time he's entered and left the apartment - I could retire.

OK, so far I have my own receiver and I had to purchase an HDMI cable because the other cables required would have never fit behind the TV stand. There were 6 of them and two were about an inch wide. He looked relieved by my request and quickly yanked the others out of the box, replacing them with a single coax cable of the precise length needed for the connection. No more, no less.

He climbed to the roof of the house checking out the alignment of the digital antenna because I no longer receive the local and PBS stations that I did while connected to the duel receiver in the big house.

The new Sony TV has a built in OTA tuner/receiver, but no booster. The technician tried connecting directly to the TV and the results were disappointing. Local channels are not available, or severely pixilated meaning no PBS stations, either. Bother.

This guy tried just about everything he could to give us what we wanted. My "I wants" were simple; a clear picture and, if possible, at least one PBS station.

The picture quality is amazing, so I can live without PBS. I have for the past 2 years. Speaking of picture, the HD movies are so crisp I can see the makeup on performers. Ew!

It is nearly 4:30 pm as I write and he is still tweaking the two TVs in the big house, and mine. If DISH had sent this guy to do the initial installation we (and he) wouldn't have had all the headaches and hours dissecting the problems created by the hired contractors. Mr. Ray just came back to ask if I had any other questions or required instructions on using the new remote. He gave me a quick run through and pointed me to the DISH user tutorial channel. That's where I'll be for an hour, or so.

The third time was the charm. I am happy with what I have now.

Time to prep supper and have a festive cocktail. Cheers!

And so it goes.
*

3 comments:

  1. So sorry (really) that you are unable to get any PBS. We get no less than 3 with our dish (DirecTV). PBS is a mainstay - unless they are doing a "beg-a-thon", of course. Happy to hear that things are better over all, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on having finally the 'view' you wanted. Maybe you'll find the directions to PBS on the user channel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is painful to watch TV sans PBS and the local channels. I do so want to see Tom Delay swing and swaying to the exotic Rumba rhythms on "Dancing with the Stars" but I will have to settle for You Tube clips. Now "Judge Judy" is another whole story.

    I'm glad your little slice of heaven is becoming more comfortable. Planning on staying a while are you?

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...