Saturday, September 19, 2009

Planets Perfectly Aligned.

It is an absolute joy when this happens. My first day off in two weeks and there were lots on the to-do list of errands to run and chores needing attention, so after a good night's rest I was out and on the move early wanting to get back to take advantage of this beautiful day.

First up a search for a new kitchen faucet sprayer. Found it with some help, paid for it and checked it off the list. Next stop L.L. Bean where I hoped to find a messenger's bag (now called a "murse" or man's purse in some circles - don't get me started on that one) as they were out of stock last time I visited. The old backpack is causing back pain, and a friend suggested one of these to replace it. Struck gold again!!! They received a shipment of a half dozen yesterday and they were on sale for 50% off this time.

Then it was off to hunt for comfortable shoes suitable for both jobs. I have three pair and one offers less comfort than it used to, so I go to BASS (where two of the three pair came from) as the planets held firm and I found a beautiful, rather hip and sleek pair of black "Comfort Step" shoes which just happened to be 50% off, plus another 10% off with local ID, and topping it off, I had a 'rewards' check giving me another $10.00 off the entire bill. Walked back to the car with a spring in my step (no pun intended) having paid a whole $35.05 for these great shoes.

Next to last and in the home stretch I needed to find new slacks for work; two pair of Khakis were ruined by the finger print dust left in the store after to the robbery.

Once upon a time I used to wear a 32" inseam, then two years ago realized I had shrunk requiring a shorter 30" length. But, I swear since fracturing my spine last year the 30" are way too long and a 29" inseam is a must. Hard to find in the best of stores, I know, I've been looking. I am still a 34" waist but the 34 - 29 combo is rare perhaps because many guys are shrinking like me and snap them up, or manufacturers don't see the market for it. Whatever.

You can imagine my surprise when Jupiter aligned with Mars and I found three pair in one store, and of course, due to the economy, guess what?, they were on sale. I love one-stop shopping.

The final stop as I made the loop back to the apartment was a bit of grocery shopping; spent more than the budget because I'd run out of Rosemary and Thyme - had plenty of fresh parsley, (I knew you'd go there!) - so I bit the bullet and went for the extra $12.00 purchase. After all, they enjoy a long shelf life and I use them all the time. When did herbs and spices become so expensive?

A happy camper hit the dusty trail back to the bunkhous... uh, apartment. It was not yet 11 am as I unloaded the last of the treasures; the plan is to enjoy a bit of sun on the deck before I prep supper while deciding which of the chores on the list will get done and which will have to wait another day. Fiddle dee-dee! Where's my magnolia?

My humble efforts to stimulate the economy has ended. I hope everyone, including the President is proud of me as I gave it my all, and then some. The total cost of today's spending spree came in under $100.00, including the groceries part. Only the Universe knows what the outcome would have been if the planets hadn't aligned in my favor, so let's not think about that, OK?

This is Pride Weekend in DE and while I'd like to join in the festivities I'd rather relax here. I know, I know, I'll never meet new people if I keep holding up at the apartment. There will be other opportunities throughout the Fall and Winter. After all, I live in Gayberry Delaware, anyway. I know all the vendors who'll be there and many of the people. This is more of a celebration for those from the northern counties who live, shall we say, 'quieter lives' out of necessity. Oh there are folks in town from NJ, PA, VA, MD, and DC to be sure, who want to get in on the fun, too. They were in the restaurant for lunch as they arrived yesterday and were clearly ready for the good time ahead.

As a dear old friend used to say as he lifted his martini, I send them hugs and kisses and a sh**load of happy thoughts. I'll drink to that.

And so it goes.
*

4 comments:

  1. Such a cheery post! I always enjoy your writing; it's brisk - it's not verbose, and always quickly to the point!

    As to the herbs and spices; you made me realize I've got about $400 'invested' in both myself. Yes, you're right - long ago (I'm older than you, I think), it was much less expensive.

    However, if you love to cook as I do (and you do), we need those things, and having had a family of 6 at one time, I'm glad they were less expensive than they are now (and I only cook for 2 most of the time).

    As to the 34/29, my husband is a 36/29 - you can imagine how impossible it is for him to find pants (which is why he has pants tailored and wears walking shorts most of the time to save on costs).

    For him, he likes his 'fanny pack' in black leather; one in brown, and one in tan - yet, a messenger bag sounds darned practical to me.

    Glad you had such a wonderful day; you are such a bright and outgoing person - no doubt, the life of any get-together.

    I enjoy having your blog on rss feed so I can check it out often - much handier than 'surfing' around to all the blogs I now read.

    Enjoy your week! Regards, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. that all sounds well,
    especially the one stop shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all those sales and percents off!! Good show!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent adventure today my friend on a near perfect weather day! As always, a well written and interesting blog posting.

    And to Happy in Nevada, yes, my friend Cajun is the life of any party.

    Interesting revelation about your shrinking legs. Same here. I used to take 32/36 trousers. Now it's 32/34. Either they're making the 34's longer or I'm shrinking. I fear the latter is true. One good thing, 32/34 is a lot easier to find than 32/36.

    By the way, you HAVE to get out and meet new folks. You ain't never going to meet anybody interesting back there in that swamp where you live honey.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...