Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Summer's End? Not Yet.

Driving to the park & ride this morning heading to job #2 there were few cars on the road and I figured the Season was over. Arriving in town there were few cars and even fewer people walking about, so I thought we'd have a very light lunch crowd today.

Two servers were scheduled - one called out sick - with the cool, cloudy, and drizzly weather, I knew we would need more than 1. A call was made to 2 other servers who agreed to help out. I thought we would be covered with 3. Boy, was I wrong...

How wrong was I Johnny?

When I opened to doors people came from everywhere and anywhere. Within 45 minutes we were close to a full house - and they kept coming. By this time the manager had taken control and called for reinforcements. At least one more server was on the way. We had to make the best of it until he arrived. We did. When he arrived he was faced with a party of 6 and a party of 8.

By 2 pm, we had seated 54 parties, most 4 or more. Many were families of 6 or 8. While the manager pitched in to deliver meals to various tables and booths, I found myself bussing and cleaning tables to ready them for the next seating. The servers kicked into high gear and eventually we found ourselves working like clockwork.

Thankfully,everyone was in a great mood, as many had only just arrived for the first off-season week ready to relax and unwind without hordes of tourists. They were ready for a good time in a relaxed atmosphere, which they created themselves by their behavior and attitude. A saving grace for all of us trying to make them comfortable, happy and content.

We all hung around for our after-shift cocktail to commiserate in an attempt to figure out what had happened. From what was overheard it is clear that some people are coming to the realization that after Labor Day the rental rates are less, the Ocean is at its warmest, restaurants have more specials - and happy hours - and the beach is half empty. Hell, I'd drink to that.

So, if the sun shines tomorrow, we'll likely be very slow for lunch until about 2, but if the sky remains cloudy and cool temperatures prevail, it will be a repeat of today. I don't mind that one bit, and neither do the servers.

Time for a bit of supper and a G & T.
Cheers!

And so it goes.
*

3 comments:

  1. I have always wanted to go on vacation after Labor Day in September or even October, but school schedules and work schedules never made it possible. One of these days I'm agonna do it.
    I am happy to hear that the mood of the customers as well as the teamwork of the staff saw the crunch to a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never underestimate the tourist hordes. Just when you think you can relax, they attack!

    I am so glad you're on the front lines dealing with the horde. The only thing you're missing is standing behind the front desk of a hotel when the horde descends with their demands. Oh I would love to see you in that milieu. That is something you have to experience to really appreciate.

    You're finding the value of camaraderie and friendship in your job just as I did ten years ago when I underwent a similar upheaval in my private and professional life. My job at the Hampton Inn was a lifesaver. Of course there were rough times but we all worked together and got through it. Sometimes life works in strange ways and you find value where you least expect it. I am very happy for you.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...