Monday, September 28, 2009

Facebook Obama Poll Investigated by Secret Service

Poll titled "Should Obama Be Killed?" has been taken down and is currently being investigated by the Secret Service. What are we coming to? Of course it has absolutely nothing to do with the President being a black man. No, of course not.
U.S. Secret Service is investigating an online survey that asked whether people thought President Obama should be assassinated, officials said Monday.

The poll, posted Saturday on Facebook, was taken off the popular social networking site quickly after company officials were alerted to its existence. But, like any threat against the president, Secret Service agents are taking no chances.

"We are aware of it and we will take the appropriate investigative steps," said Darrin Blackford, a Secret Service spokesman. "We take of these things seriously."

The poll asked respondents "Should Obama be killed?" The choices: No, Maybe, Yes, and Yes if he cuts my health care.
The rest is here.

I experienced this kind of hatred as a kid in the South. I have memories of the remnants of lynchings as my grandfather drove through certain areas before dawn, to a good swamp for crawfish - telling me to get to the floor of the car, probably so I wouldn't see anything - the smell of burning flesh reached my nose, scaring me half to death.

If "these things are taken seriously" then why did the Secret Service allow people with guns strapped to their thighs anywhere near the president's appearances??? Hell, people wearing tee-shirts offensive to Bush were kicked to the curb or run out of town. A tee-shirt vs. a gun? Sorry, I just don't get it. There is no comparison.

I was raised in the segregated South. I remember the separate water fountains, restrooms, waiting rooms, and theater box offices. I remember what 'uppity' meant and how they were dealt with. Are we back in those terrible times?

What year is this ? Can anyone tell me?

And so it goes.
*

3 comments:

  1. I was raised in the "segregated" North. I remember going to the movie theater when I was 10 years old and told I couldn't sit in the balcony because that is where the n----rs sat. I remember the "colored" section of town didn't mix with the white section of town. I remember my Mother telling me I couldn't play with Gracie Styer because she was a "n---r" and the neighbors would talk. I was 6 years old at the time. I grew up in the "integrated" North. Sure.

    A lot has changed in this country but we have a hell of a long way to go before blacks (and gays) will not be discounted as human beings. I probably won't see it in my lifetime but at least we're going in the right direction. I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been watching the PBS special on the National Parks and I have been struck by the history I am learning - history that sounds eerily familiar to the last decade with regard to our natural resources.
    I watch reports of the hanging of the census worker ("FED") in KY and my mind goes back to the times of the "Revenuers".
    I see the blatant racism in the "tea parties" and "town halls" and I read about the calls for assassination.
    I weep for our nation. We do not change. We only whitewash the ugliness for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lem,

    "Whitewash" is a good word for all this. Post Racist America, indeed!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...