Friday, September 18, 2009

Random Thoughts and Questions

Why is it when servers and bartenders go out after work, party, and get wasted they're surprised that they feel like death warmed over when they arrive at work the following day? They do it over and over again, but never seem to make the connection.

Why is it that 4 weeks after opening a new checking account the bank will hold checks for 10 days EVEN though the new checks and the ATM card haven't arrived yet?

Haven't been able to figure out why most people wait until Friday to bring mass mailings to the Post Office and then complain about the lines and crowded lobby. I see the same people week after week and they just don't get it.

On rainy days many drivers forget that the speed 'limit' refers to optimal road conditions. Slower speeds are suggested when conditions are dangerous or compromised by the weather.

I have confirmed that Eastern European and Russian folks can drink most Americans under the table. While this may be due to the oppression they have lived with, the fun was in viewing this competition firsthand.

Wal*Mart will allow a person wearing a tee shirt with the image of the swastika to shop, but will remove a young mother sitting in the pharmacy area for breast feeding her baby. It boggles the mind.

Why do banks offer incentives only to NEW customers? Conclusion? They are under the impression that they already have your business and will not change financial institutions. Oh My! Why not offer your best customers these incentive and special enticements as well? I am told it is a tried and true banking model. Maybe back when there were fewer alternatives. Not today. How stoopid and how wrong.

It's time for a cold compress and a quiet end to the week.

And so it goes.
*

2 comments:

  1. Loved 'em.
    Your last one (about banks and new customers) reminded me of my encounter with the providers of my satellite dish. When we recently upgraded out TV to a HD-compatible LCD jobbie, I inquired about upgrading our feed to HD. The ads talked about all kinds of incentives. When I asked, I was informed that they were only for *new* customers. My reaction was similar to yours: a sense of incredulity that they did not want to reward faithful customers. We remain as we were, as I consider other options.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Connecting the dots.....some folks just don't get it. How about this one? Why do some folks wait until Friday on a major holiday weekend in the summer and call to make a reservation at the hotel and are surprised that there are no rooms left? When informed they say "What's going on?" I slipped once and said "Sir, it is the summer season and other guests made their reservations ahead of this weekend and thus there are no rooms left." Then I get the response "Oh." Then I get the question "How many rooms do you have?" (Like I have a few rooms in reserve just for their late call.) I inform them again "No sir (or maam as the case may be), "We have no rooms left. We are FULL. There is NO ROOM LEFT." Still they are mystified. After all, it is all about them. Then they ask "Do you know of any other nice places to go (like I'm going to send them to a bad place.) If I make the mistake of helping them then I get the question of "What are their rooms like? I don't want to spend too much." I kid you not. I've had this conversation many, many times. I finally have to cut the conversation short so I can provide service for the guests who DID MAKE reservations in the hotel where I work.

    Will this happen again next year? Absolutely. Some people cannot see past their own noses. It is literally ALL ABOUT THEM.

    I love my job. I wouldn't have it any other way. They are so predictable.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...