Tuesday, May 25, 2010

I'm Back! Well, Only Just.

I must be a resident of the City of Rehoboth Beach. My polling place information card arrived in the mailbox today! I guess it's true.

Regular readers may be surprised by this, but I came to realize (late, of course) that there are only 2 three-prong outlets in the apartment - one in the living room, the other in the bathroom - and I was too tired to face traffic to get to Lowe's for more after a long day at work. There was a voicemail waiting from Verizon informing me that the DSL was up and running.  Not to be deterred, I checked out extension cords and telephone cables and came up with a makeshift solution for the evening. Plugged the surge protector into the living room outlet, connected the computer, monitor, mouse and DSL modem to it, then ran a 25 ft. phone cable from the bedroom to the modem.  Worked immediately and I cannot detect a difference in the speed.

Anyway, I finished the move this morning before work before returning the key to the landlady and shedding a few tears with her. We're both moving on. I'd known that she was my angel these past three years, but I didn't know that I was also hers. Both of us getting over broken marriages, I can't imagine being an angel in the state I was in back then. If I overlooked anything I am sure she'll call.

I am having my first martini in the new place, and will prepare a first meal, too. Tomorrow is the only day off and I am sure you can guess what is at the top of the to-do list. Yes, three-prong outlets!!! There are also a few leads for furniture at thrift and consignment stores in the area.  I'll check them out and see what I come up with.

The sheets are on the bed, more boxes emptied and ready for the recycle center, which is actually the top item on the list, but closely followed by the damned outlets. I hope I remember how to replace them. Without cable or other service, I have That's Entertainment running in the background to keep me going.

This building is old and there are things requiring adjusted thinking (see outlets above) nothing that can't be worked around in the future. Whatever. For now I am thrilled to be close to the Atlantic and work; not dodging tourists in traffic; and the possibility of getting out more socially. We'll see.

For now, I want to furnish the place sparsely with things that strike my fancy.  My fancy what, I don't know, but I'll know it when I see it.


BTW, thanks to everyone for the good wishes, comments, and offer of a home blessing.  I am overwhelmed.

And so it goes.


Image by friend Ron. Click to embiggen.
*

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on arrival at the new place!
    When we moved into our new home three years ago, I was happy to see that the outlets were three pronged - until I discovered that they were not installed properly (they were not really grounded). We had an electrician come and do the job properly.

    We had high speed cable in our previous home. We have DSL in our present home. Technically the DSL is slower, but I've not noted much (if any) difference for my needs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made it! Just a few minor (and believe me, they are minor) adjustments and you're ready for the next phase of your life. I am very excited for you!

    I'm sorry I couldn't do breakfast this morning I was called to work last night (to fill in for a sick co-worker.) I work tonight and tomorrow night also.

    I don't do breakfasts anymore anyway (to many "any's" there"?) because it messes up my eating schedule for the rest of the day.

    Let's do lunch some day at Po Boy's in Milton. I recently met a friend (single) who also dines there. Maybe we could do a threesome or a foursome if we can get Bob C. to join us. Yes, Bob C. has returned to the scene of the crime.

    Let me know and enjoy those new digs. By the way, a consignment or thrift shop is your best bet to get occasional furniture or even a table. If you need help moving it, let me know. We can manage. :)

    Ron

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...