Tuesday, May 18, 2010

One Forward - Two Back

Even as torrential rain slammed the area this morning, I took another load of boxes to the new place before heading to the doctor's appointment at 9:45. It was slow going; hard to see the road and other cars, but just as I arrived at the apartment, the rain turned to a drizzle. I moved quickly to get the things inside and put a few things away to reuse the the reusable shopping bags and boxes for another trip.

As I began the drive to the doctor's office I ran smack into another heavy storm, and this one was unforgiving. I was soaked just running from the car to the front door and little time to drip dry. I was called in about 10 minutes early for the nurse to take the vitals and check my current weight.  Lost a little over a pound since last visit, but blood pressure is elevated again. Possibly from the stress of the move and the hectic schedule I've been keeping, but who knows. He gave me a scrip to have blood work done asap and asked that I monitor the pressure twice weekly and call him if the pressure got any higher.

The doctor brow beats me and continues the exam.  He has me lie face up on the exam table and proceeds to check out the upper stomach area, stops in mid-poke and asks if I'd been doing any heavy lifting. I say no, not since the back injury a year and a half ago. "Well, you've got  hernia! Are you in any pain? Can you think of something you may have done to cause this?" I can't, really. I've been super careful because if I do lift anything heavy, I pay for it for days after.
"If you're not in pain, hold off on surgery until it becomes absolutely necessary, but if you begin to experience pain, get your butt to the emergency room right away."

Ah, the joys of being uninsured - and he wonders why the blood pressure is elevated. Jeez!

And so it goes.
*

4 comments:

  1. As I advised on your FB account, your doctor is absolutely right. Hold off on any hernia surgery unless it is absolutely necessary. The only reason I got one (I was born with a hernia, talk about luck), was that the Army wouldn't take me unless I got it fixed first. I literally didn't pass the cough test. After having the surgery I contact a staph infection which almost killed me. I was transported to the hospital in an ambulance (my first) and spent the next six months and three operations in and out of that hospital. I was in the contagion ward. I was convinced that if I didn't get rid of my staph infection I would catch another infection that would do me in. But, as you know, I survived and lived on to affect (infect?) many other peeps lives. So, long story short, don't get that operation unless absolutely necessary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. More reason to be cautious with the move. But don't you just love doctors! They lay the bad on you and then hammer on you for high blood pressure. Sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. W, do what the doctor tells you and wait with an operation till the health-system of Mr. Obama kicks in. You're still paying for that last one so why start on a new one.

    Ask someone to help you, I know that's hard to do, but it's better for your health and blood pressure.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...