Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Posting, Packing & Perspective

Sorry for the light personal postings, but lots going on right now. Packing, making lists of needs for the move and the new space, working 6 days a week, and juggling doctor's appts. doesn't leave a lot of free time. Sometimes I have to remind myself to breathe.

A lease application was submitted, accepted, and the lease signed. I was given a set of keys and may begin moving personal things in as soon as the power company approves the request for service - about 4 or 5 working days - after the 15th (the current tenant is moving out on the 15th, seems he can't wait to get into this new place in Ocean City and that's fine with me.) then schedule movers to bring items (currently in storage) to the apartment before the end of the month.  It's going to get even more hectic with Memorial Day weekend (the kick-off to summer) coming up at the same time. I hope to be ensconced in the new space beforehand. Fortunately, I won't waste a precious free day running around to the utility or phone company offices.
The landlady was informed of the lease application and I updated her today on what's going on, so we'll connect sometime this week . She has been wonderful to me through some of the worst of times, but I suppose it's time for us both to move on. I will miss her and the serenity of this place.

I knew that I had a small window of time to find a place before the season began, or there would be no hope until October, if even then. This also means I will be out of the realtor's hair, giving the landlady a better shot at selling the house. I received a call from the realtor asking permission to show the place - and my place - this week.  I told him that was OK. This is another reason I am grateful to have found a new place. Privacy. Never an issue before but that all changed when the FOR SALE sign appeared out front.

I guess all things eventually work out for the best. The new place is much nicer than the one I liked before. The appliances are newer, the rooms brighter and the layout is much better than the others. The one drawback is that anyone having to use the bathroom has to do so through the bedroom. But, I don't think it will be such a big deal.  I don't expect many visitors.

Being out-and-about around town and the community again has made a huge difference, as I doubt I would have ever known of these opportunities otherwise. Evidently, most of these rentals are not listed in newspapers or with realtors, but via word of mouth and referrals. It seems I came highly recommended. I am more than flattered.

OK, here's today's dish...

1. Picked up copy of the lease.
2. Drove to DMV to get address changed on driving license. (reason for lease copy.)
3. Dropped off more boxes at the storage unit.
4. Drove to Parking Permit Division to pick up a resident's permit hang-tag so I can park on the street in town without getting ticketed.
5. Romanian friend and co-worker, Eddie, stopped by and filled his Hybrid SUV with boxes and took them to the storage unit. (this way the boxes are out of the apartment and the place will show better.)
6.. Just got off the phone with Verizon transferring phone and DSL service to the new digs on May 25th. (They gave me a new number, but are not certain it will actually be THAT number. (huh?) I will know by the 26th.

Resigned to the possibility that I would never have another place to call my own, all this is quite a shock. I keep pinching myself to insure this isn't a dream. As usual, it's all how you look at things. Putting this into perspective hasn't been easy. I'll learn, albeit slower than others.

The back hurts from lugging boxes, and other stuff. A hot shower followed by a festive Martini and supper, then it's off to bed to rest these weary bones.  Cheers!

And so it goes.
*

8 comments:

  1. shower/martini/supper/bed - what lovely thoughts !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I missed something, but am I to assume that this was not the place for which you had been hoping? that this is a different place in town? I recall you commenting that there were issues with the present tenant. Just wondering. Regardless, good luck and best wishes with the move and the new place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy for you. I'm not one bit surprised that you come highly recommended as a tenant. Your excellent reputation precedes you more than you know. Really.

    I'm repeating myself, but all of your friends are very happy for you that you are realizing your dream of living in Rehoboth and your life is settling down. Next item on the agenda is a new boyfriend. Just make sure you stay within your age limit. Don't ask for trouble. :) You've had more than your share the past four years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah!!! Finally a place of your own, even when it's renting. At least you can stop paying for the storage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spo: My feelings, exactly.

    Lem: I'm not the best writer in town and sometimes my thoughts race ahead of the writing. Yes, this is a different place on a very quiet street.

    Ron: Who are you, Yenta the matchmaker? A boyfriend, at my age? Puleeeze! I'm happy to just continue meeting new people who may just become friends and who will drop by for a festive cocktail and/or share a meal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see romance on the horizon for you my friend. Yes I do. You need someone to hug and to share your life. Perhaps I can see that better than you from my perspective. You may have a job that you love, a secure and comfortable nest and many friends but you need more. You my friend are not the solitary type. True happiness is on its way. Haven't I been right so far? It takes time but it will happen. Look how far you have come already. Your journey is not finished. Fasten your seatbelt, the best is yet to come.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you are going to enjoy your new place! Such good news......

    ReplyDelete
  8. Peter: I am so excited! I will be able to try all your marvelous recipes I printed but couldn't try because of the lack of an oven.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...