Saturday, May 29, 2010

Just Another Invasion at the Beach

The rain began falling a half hour before I left for work. It stopped as I walked out the door. Started again as I reached the restaurant. Miracles, miracles. The kitchen staff, bar staff, and the bosses were right behind me. Good thing, too.

Wait staff began arriving 15 minutes early to prep for the day.  Good thing, too.

We were ready to open 15 minutes early, good thing too, because the deluge began at that moment and didn't let up all day. The rain and sun played tag and by 1:30 there was a 20 minute wait for a table. By 2 pm, it was an hour as larger parties of 8, 12, and 20 arrived. At 3:30 the wait for service was over,  things slowed down long enough to get our second wind, regroup, and introduce the dinner staff to the mix while phasing out the lunch crew. Sounds complicated, but it worked very smoothly today.

Tonight is totally booked and I am happy to live on a quiet street in a quiet building where I can now review all I learned today, which includes having more authority and responsibility for the front of the house - as it is called. I have been endowed (well, that too) with special computer privileges to correct or delete minor errors made by servers. Who'da thunk it?   This was an absolutely fascinating experience!

I had a ball and it's only just begun!!!

Tired?  Yes, but exhilarated and happy that our friends are back for another season at the beach. And, as we say in NOLA, "A good time was had by all."

In the excitement, I spilled half my shift cocktail on the bar, so I am enjoying a FULL martini as I compose this and prepare supper.  A Good day, for the most part.  Damn! I hate spilling good Gin!

Cheers!

And so it goes.
*

4 comments:

  1. Everything is falling into place. And that is as it should be. I am so glad for you. When you go to bed tonight, think about all that traffic that you missed mixing it up with on Rt. 1 today. Ain't it wonderful?
    Now all you need is a table and you're set for the long haul. Let me know when it's delivered at the bottom of your steps. I'll help you carry it up to your lair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Full house means good tips too, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe your busyness at the restaurant bodes well that people are beginning to feel more optimistic and hopeful - somethings we need amongst us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Peter: the servers are doing very well, but I do not receive tips. Still, I am working more hours and having a great time.
    @Lemuel: From you mouth to God's ear. Rentals are up this year and many believe it's due to the horrid winter we just made it through. Whatever works.
    @Ron: I'm taking it slow. Table, chairs, PC desk, sofa, chair --- all it due time. Thanks for the offer.
    Thanks for the visit and input you guys.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...