Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Treasure & Trash Discovered

You never know what you're going to find when you're planning a move. Thankfully, I haven't hoarded silly things in these past 3 years. Probably because there is no space. Period!

As I began packing odds-n-ends from the kitchen "catch-all" drawer - a storehouse for batteries, small tools, rubber bands, bag clips, twist-ties, you know the kind, and probably have at least one in your home - I came upon a file folder containing printed recipes I've been unable to prepare due to the limited available appliances. Many of these are from my Dutch friend, Peter, and finding them made me even more anxious for a real kitchen. (sigh.)

I have an appointment to see another apartment before work tomorrow. This one boasts a dishwasher AND a washer & dryer, but is also more expensive. I wonder what savings, if any, the W & D will mean in reality. And as for the dishwasher, I've been washing dishes by hand for 3 years and since it's only me, I'd probably run the damned thing once weekly.  Hardly worth it.

Still waiting to hear more about the place in town, but the tenant hasn't moved out yet. I am not sure what is going on there. My co-worker connection suggests I'll hear from the landlord in a week, or so.

In the process of sorting and tossing, I unearthed an Italian designed white and yellow gold bracelet received as a birthday gift from the Ex a few years before the breakup. Of course, he purchased it from my previous place of employment and at MY discount. Clearly, I ought to have sold it when gold was selling at higher prices.

I've also found a pair of cuff links from my grandfather. These are a treasure since they are handmade cameos and quite fragile. I will wear these at the first possible opportunity, though wearing a dress shirt with French cuffs is a rare occurrence here at the beach.  I'll find a way to celebrate.

And so it goes.
*

3 comments:

  1. I recall being a kid in older elementary and thinking that shirts that required cuff links were the coolest thing ever! and if I had a matching tie clip!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be wearing a french cuff shirt* on May 15 during the gala-dinner at EMTC2010 in Bolzano, Italy.

    When I was still working I used to wear them daily, nowadays people look at me bewilderd when I wear a suit and tie.

    *and a tuxedo and bowtie. The cufflinks are heirloom items.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wear those cuff links the your next day hosting at your place of employment. Just how cool would that be......and different!! Continue wearing your short sleeve shirts, just add a pair of cuffs to support your grandfathers cufflinks. By the way, when are you going to wear your tiara? Please don't tell me it went the way of your fairy godmother wand.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...