Sunday, October 3, 2010

With Little to be Sure of: Another Surprise Gift

Received some bad news last evening that I am not at liberty to discuss at this time. Because of who I am, my sleep was fitful and restless, interspersed with bad dreams. I woke up exhausted. It was dark and rainy as I pulled it together for the day at work.

There was a big benefit brunch in town today; a charity event to support "Meals on Wheels" and the restaurant was one of those participating. The Dos Locos (bosses) were hosting our booth there and I was entrusted to get the restaurant open, the symbolism was not lost on me. No problem. I was blessed with a terrific wait staff and kitchen crew. A top notch barman rounded out the morning/lunch group.

As it rained the winds picked up putting a damper, if not end, to the annual fall sidewalk sale all over town.  That meant diners were fewer than expected. Everyone kept busy as wait staff helped one another by busing tables and setting up for the next seating. Very smooth.

Then at about 3 pm, an elderly man walks into the restaurant and tells me that he's visiting for the day and accidentally left his car lights on - his battery is dead - asking if we knew of anyone he might call to help him out of this situation. I provided a phone directory and while I was busy with other things he called around. Nothing on a Sunday.  And, though he had had AAA for years (and never needed to use it) he let it lapse this year.  Figures, right?

I began asking all employees if they knew of anyone who would at least give his car a jump-start.  Suddenly everything fell into place with 2 line cooks, the barman, and a server springing into action.  The gentleman had jumper cables in his trunk, so while a cook, barman, and server pushed the car into a spot, safe  and convenient to a jumper vehicle, the other cook got into her car and drove up along side his car. (Mind you, it was pouring rain and the winds are about 25 mph) The jump was made, the car started, and applause was deafening inside the restaurant and out.

The gentleman attempted to pay for the assistance, but it was refused by the staff. Their answer was simple; this could have been any one of us and we would be grateful for assistance.  Since we were able to help, we believe that when it does happen to us, that someone will be there, too. 

Karma may be a bitch sometimes, but it can be beautiful, as well. I am very proud to have such people in my life. They always surprise and amaze me with their grace, generosity, and spirit.

And so it goes.
*

4 comments:

  1. The Goddess who send you to this place to work had something deeper in mind. Friends to can count on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amidst all the craziness in this world, there are still kind, generous, thoughtful people among us. It is why we continue to hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peter is so smart. I want to be just like him when I grow up. It is nice to work with a great bunch of people.
    I hope that your bad news doesn't last long.
    Your Friend, m.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to read that kindness still exists in our seemingly ever increasing selfish culture.

    I was in town yesterday (Olde Time Photo) and had all intentions of stopping by for lunch but the winds and rain were too much. I just said FTS and took off back home. Probably just as well, you were busy enough as it was and didn't need any more distraction.

    Lunch today with Paul, Jack, Big Bob and Jim. Bob C. is on his way back to Altoona.

    Maybe tomorrow the sun will make a reappearance. One can only hope.

    By the way, I've been a member of AAA since 1982. Never used their services ONE TIME. This year I was considering dropping them but not now after what happened yesterday. That would be my luck for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...