Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Day After...

As I left the apartment this morning to run a few errands, the street was deserted, almost devoid of automobiles.  Where yesterday not a space could be found, today the street resembled a bowling alley.

As I drove up to the Avenue I was the only person in sight.  Nothing was moving or parked on the street.  It was as though the weekend had been a dream, never actually happened. Strange, but I know they will be back again soon. This week is usually the drought before the deluge which will not end until Labor Day in September.

It promised to be a hot and humid day (it was already 84'F as I left) so I wanted to get everything done and out of the way.  I also wanted to stop for a bottle of gin, since payday was yesterday.  It turns out I crossed off all items on my lists and was back before 11 am.

The AC tech arrived shortly thereafter and couldn't get water out of the hose to cool down the compressor, so he took all my ice in a giant storage bag to try to do the job.  Bother!  The ice maker is slow and delivers small half-moon cubes.  One fits nicely in a shot glass. He left promising to return later to check out the results. In the trade-off between ice and AC - the AC wins hands-down.

Took a walk up to the Farmers Market for a loaf of ultra-sourdough bread and returned with a quart of snow peas, a bunch of Swiss chard, and a small head of bok choy.  Yes, there is a stir-fry in my future. It's quick after a work day.  Walking home I noticed the temperature in town stood at 92'F though it felt much hotter.

I found an old recipe for a Puttanesca Sauce, the AC tech is working on the compressor as I write, and I can feel the air becoming cooler. I'm tackling this one tonight. I have forgotten how good the sauce is, remembering only how friends used to rave about it.  If it turns out well I'll post the recipe, if anyone is interested.

There are few ice cubes in the freezer at present, but there may be a few more by 5 o'clock.  A small, 2 pound bag at the market around the corner is ridiculously expensive, but if I must - I must.  At this place a 12 oz. bottle of Coke costs you big-time, but their fresh sushi is about the same price.  Go fig!  The store is owned by the  best sushi house in town and they supply it to the store (right across the street) fresh every day for lunch.  A fresh take-out sushi lunch, talk about luxury!

I look forward to my Puttanesca Sauce, thank you very much.

And so it goes.
*

1 comment:

  1. I would love a farmer's market within walking distance; this would be a good thing.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...