Sunday, May 29, 2011

Memorial Weekend Update

Although forecasters predicted rain every day since last Thursday, it's never happened. Every single day has been beach-prime and folks are taking great advantage of it. I am seeing more people the color of boiled lobster than I have in years past.  Sun Screen, Anyone?  The stoopid suffer, because...(fill in the blank)

We served over 200 lunches yesterday, over 300 today with both evenings booked solid. We stopped taking reservations yesterday for the rest of the weekend.

I was up to my eyeballs in lipstick lesbians today thanks to the Indy 500 boasting woman driver Danica Patrick,  for the first time.  They took over the lounge area, knocked back Happy Hour cocktails and cheered the driver on.  She didn't win, but came in a respectable third place, pissing off a few (male) pundits, which made the women happy to see them eat their words.  It was a festive, communal time, enjoyed by us all.

The Delaware State Treasurer and his wife dined with us today.  A few local politicians suggested the restaurant, if they were to visit Rehoboth this weekend. They're a fine and extremely kind couple. They picked my brain regarding menu items that might fit his dietary requirements.  They enjoyed the attention, service, food, and said they'd be back again.

My shift ended later than usual, so I knocked back a quick AS (after shift) cocktail as the bar began to fill and get very loud.  The dining room began filling with big parties holding reservations, so I headed for the door. Traffic was bumper-to-bumper coming into and leaving town.  The image above captures those leaving town at about 5 pm. (click to embiggen)

As I walked home, turning onto my street there were no available parking spaces to be had. All was quiet as usual, except for a bit of conversation and light music emanating from a patio cookout a few doors from my place. It's good to be home.

Olives greatly reduced the stress of the day as I contemplate a supper without use of stove or oven (since I have no AC at least until next Tuesday) and something that will go nicely with a spinach salad. Oh, decisions, decisions, decisions!

And so it goes.
*

3 comments:

  1. Hope the rain comes during the night and thbat the temps drop with them. At least you're working in a AC covered area. Take care and keep those olives marinated [but not too long!]

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hotel was full too on Saturday night. We had six rooms open last night but five walk ins took care of five of them. I had a hard time getting out of Lewes on
    Saturday. Bumper to bumper in that little 'quiet" town (HA!) Good to see all the folk in town dropping the Big Bucks! After seven straight days of work I finally have a day off. I'm in recovery mode right now. Sorry to hear about your lack of air conditioning. I hope it is fixed soon. Take a cold shower if you get too hot (but then you already knew that from your younger days :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Olives should be enough, yes?

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...