Sunday, May 22, 2011

Sun, Sand, Sidewalk Sales, and September.

I know, I know.  It's been 4 days since the last personal post and the excuse is in the title. Work has taken up most of the time and it's been worthwhile, believe me.

The restaurant has been extremely busy since Wednesday and with some staff still in college it has been a challenge to the existing wait staff to get up to speed for the season.  The doslocosguys have been wonderful as usual, ready to pitch in and do anything necessary to take up the slack.  One slides behind the bar to ease the pressure while the other delivers food to waiting tables, and help me to bus and clean them for the next seating.

Due to the arthritis in my hands, I am only allowed to handle plastics and other unbreakables, (they never allow me to pick up dishes or glassware) and then I can clean the tables and set them up. Yesterday there was a 15 minute wait for lunch, and today it was up to a half hour!  And it's only May!!!

Yes, the weather and the huge Spring Sidewalk Sale in town was a big draw, and then there were our regular local diners coming in for one last visit before the tourists appear and the parking meters and fees kick in next week.  We won't see them much during the summer unless it's a special occasion, so that's been fun.

As my shift ended this afternoon the doslocosguys asked if I was prepared for the season, and I said,  yes. It was a strange question to ask just before Memorial Day weekend.  I quickly added that I would appreciate some time off come September.  They smiled.  I know what they were thinking and they knew what I've been thinking.  They know about this blog, but I doubt they've read it. They are far too busy running the 2 businesses and the season starts this coming week. Besides, my life is anything but interesting.

I really need a break.  By September I hope to have put enough money aside to afford a short break (without pay) if only to have a change of scenery and some rest and relaxation.

Meanwhile, I hope I'm ready for whatever is thrown at me these coming 3 months.  It's always a challenge and, as Dr. Spo would say, "jolly good fun".  I agree.

And so it goes.

*

3 comments:

  1. Good to hear that business is picking up. Same here at the hotel. Busy, busy, busy. That means full employment which is always good. I'm glad you're busy and have a full life. And you're right, you won't see this local in Rehoboth after next week except for the wee hours of the morning during my early morning walk on the boardwalk. Enjoy the season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still good you don't have to work two jobs anymore. With this rush on the restaurant three months are gone in a jiffy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Ron: Maybe we'll see one another one morning on the boards. Glad things are good at the Inn.

    @Peter: Hope so, and with the money from the extra day I will try to stash away a bit to take a few days off when the dust settles. You're so right about not dealing with 2 jobs. Sometimes I wonder how I ever did that. ;-)

    Thanks for the comments and visit, guys.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...