Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Tuesdays in the Park with Farmers

It ain't Sondheim, but what is?  My single day off could not have been more rewarding. Breezy with temps in the 70s and a clear sky, who could ask for more?

Just returned from the opening day of the Farmer's Market in the park a few blocks away. It will appear  every Tuesday from 12 - 4 pm (or until vendors sell out) through mid-September.  It's a small venue with only room for about 20 vendors, their vehicles and tents.  Not all spaces were filled, but there were still good things to be had.

It's too early for the much-sought-after local produce, but I did snag a few goodies that made me very happy. Sourdough bread topped my hoped-for list and I was first in line for that one. The loaves are huge so half will be frozen because they contain no preservatives.

Found bunches of fresh green onions (or scallions) large and sweet enough to make leeks jealous.  Swiss Chard was also available and I can't wait to braise it.

Another small baker was there selling little, half size focaccia, about 8" square.  I bought one topped with baby spinach, tomatoes, onions, and feta cheese.  It smells heavenly.

Then I spotted the creative sausage maker.  O.M.G.!  Of all the samples tasted, his new pork with broccoli rabe, spices, and sharp provolone found its way into my bag.  No idea how it got there... I'm sure a few of his other inventions will make their way to my place in the weeks ahead.  Makes me wish I had access to an outdoor grill. So many ideas racing through the old brain. 

There was a local farmer selling herb, tomato, green pepper, pole bean, and squash seedlings - hardened off and ready for planting.  Made me yearn for my old garden as I stared at them remembering how I used to start mine from seed, as well.

I was too excited and focused to take pictures, but they will be coming soon.  Promise.

All items are stored, a shower taken,  a bit of the focaccia consumed, and this post is done. Now I get to prepare supper and wait for the clock to inch its way to the 5 o'clock hour.  Then, it's olives all round!

And so it goes.
*

2 comments:

  1. What is swiss chard? I've never heard of it. How is it prepared and served? What is the taste like?

    I am curious. I like new adventures in vegetables.

    WP

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...