Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Books: An Observation

If you occasionally read these pages you already know that I own a Kindle Fire.  Not the HD, I've had it almost a year. I have downloaded many books from my past (most are free) and more than a few recently published works.  Most all have been fiction. Dickens, Pearl Buck, Heinlein, Arthur C. Clarke, Conrad, Melville, Twain, and others.

All of the titles that go way back to my school and college days held up well and were a thrill to read now where I can appreciate them so much more.

I am not a writer (as you know already) but little things -like words, you know, those things that fill the pages!- the wrong, misspelled, improperly used kind distracts and sets me off. Many of the usual suspects pop up all the time.  Where, were, we're; they're there and their; you know what I mean. The new stuff is full of this, and as a whole, not very good reading. The topic descriptions sound interesting (which is why I downloaded them) but the writing is bad, the editing frustrating, and the proof-reading is extremely poor, if done at all.

The only new title that knocked my socks off is "Tempest at Dawn" by James D. Best, published in 2009.  There's more about it HERE.  I've finished it and plan to read it again, after a spell.  There is a lot there to absorb and enjoy.  I know I missed many things as I read it quickly - it's a compelling read - and the second time  I plan to read more slowly and savor each character, and there are many historic figures involved. I also began looking up his other works and maybe add a few of them to my collection.

My tiny apartment means that paper books are out of the question. No space for book shelves or storage. I gave most of the books to local libraries and thrift stores. There were more than 30 boxes in storage for over 3 years and I knew there would be no place for them here. There's plenty of room on the Kindle since I deleted all the disappointments as I finished (or didn't finish) them.  At times, I got so angry that I deleted them from the device. Yes, some were that awful. An insult, really.

My Christmas dinner is in the oven and a spiked Eggnog is in my immediate future.

Merry Ho-Ho to all.

And so it goes.
&

6 comments:

  1. I too am finding poor proofreading in many of the newer books out there. and there is NO EXCUSE for it!

    I delight in a hardback book. a few pages before bedtime is a relaxing pleasure.

    I lift a spiked eggnog in your direction on this quiet night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Christmas to you!
    See you I hope this March !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas.

    I love the idea of ebooks and Kindle type devices. My problem is we have so many books I have not read I am afraid to invest in technology that will make it easier to by more before reading the stacks we have..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anne Marie: "Cheers!"

    Ur-spo: Looking forward to meeting you in March, if at all possible.

    Harper's Keeper: I was fortunate to have read all the books before I had to give them away. Lightening the load was a good thing, though I love the smell of a new paper book to this day.

    Thanks for visiting, everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't think I would like reading books on an electronic device, so used to I was holding a book. However, I find reading books on my iPad at work perfect. I don't to take a physical book to work and thus present the image of a bored front desk clerk. I can read from my iPad with ease and close it up quickly should the phone ring or a guest checks in. However, I still like to hold a book when I'm in bed reading. I don't think I'll ever change that habit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. By the way, you're an excellent writer. Looking forward to reading your memoirs. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...