Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Staff Holiday Party

I didn't look forward to going out at 6 pm last evening, or thrilled to attend the staff party at work. I worked around the apartment all day, doing chores, laundry and general cleaning.  That kept my mind off the inevitable until it got dark at around 4:30 and I knew I had to make a decision.

I did.

And no, it was not to have a cocktail!  So, there.

Put on a holiday music CD, dragged my tired self into the shower, then found myself singing or humming the songs playing in the other room. Shaved and found something appropriate, "donned my gay apparel" consisting of wheat jeans, mock turtleneck, vest sweater accesorized with a small pin...A little teddy bear in a red stocking.

As I set out into the dark night the old anxiety returned and I almost turned back.  Just kept putting one foot in front of the other and arrived holding my breath dreading what was to come.

I haven't been in large social groups since the breakup 6 years ago.  I haven't been invited to any, to tell the truth, and I've lost confidence when in a large group. Used to be at ease in most any situation, not anymore.  I know, I know, these are people I work with and for, so it wasn't like a bunch of strangers were lying in wait. Only co-workers and a few I'd like to call friends.

There was music being played by a DJ; lovely full orchestra arrangements of holiday classics and I began to relax and enjoy the sounds as my mood began to change. Walked into the bar to find Darryl (one of the LocoGuys) behind it who smiled, wished me Merry Christmas and set a golden margarita in front of me.  I was a bit surprised.

When I found Joe (the other DLGuy) everything fell into place.  They didn't hire caterers for the event.  They did EVERYTHING themselves. Joe did the prepping, cooking, and baking while Darryl stocked the wine bar, filled coolers with favourite beers, and held court at the bar all evening. Everyone was shocked by this at first, but it actually worked out very well.  They had as much fun as we did and since it was staff and spouses only, they knew everyone and what they liked to eat and drink.

GM Linda (the wee Irish Lass) arrived, sidled up to me with a devilish grin and a twinkle in her eyes, to say that she'd be making a special Irish treat (read that as drink) after the dinner.

The dinner:  A lavish setup in the back, private dining room consisted of Chicken cordon bleu, homemade spinach/cheese ravioli, pineapple baked ham, 3 different salads, shrimp pate, puffed chicken wings (don't ask!), rolls, and so many different desserts that the dentists in these parts will be kept busy for years to come. Honestly, I took a tiny bit of each dish and it was all so rich I could hardly finish what I had taken.  Needless to say, I had no dessert.  But then again, I seldom do, anyway.

Fortunately, plastic dinnerware and flatware was chosen for the evening, so we cleaned our dinner places, dumped the garbage, (hey!  we're restaurant people!) and resumed the festivities.

Joe and Darryl had one more surprise.  Gifts!  Everyone received a large red shopping bag stuffed with green tissue paper.  (See the image above.) Each bag contained a soft fleece pullover hoodie, blue with gold accents***, in our exact size, thank you very much.  I have learned that there is little about their staff that they do not know.  At least the important things like clothing sizes and fave foods, kids needs, stuff like that. They thanked us for our work and made us (at least myself) feel very appreciated.

Talked with and got to know more of the various wives, husbands, partners, etc.  Finally Linda, (the dear) cornered me at the end of the bar where she had arranged about 8 of those large red Solo plastic cups - that hold about 20 oz. - and with that devilish grin of hers, thrust one cup into my hands. The liquid was dark, the aroma heavenly.  She passed the others to those selected (or dared) to participate, raised her cup and said, "Merry Christmas and Thank You All!"  There were straws in each cup so we took a tiny, hesitant sip only to have our eyes pop open thanks to the pleasant sensation the unknown concoction left on our tastebuds. (I hope to find out the exact ingredients, if she's willing to share.)

Linda giggled, took another sip from her cup and warned, "only have one of these, since this is your first experience."  Well, I already had that golden margarita followed by 2 glasses of wine with dinner, so I was feeling no pain by that time.  We stood there sipping, talking, oooohing and aaaaahing over the drink, as it did its thing and I realized it was time to walk home while I still could.  Linda offered a ride, but I needed the fresh air and rather enjoyed the quiet of the night.

The sky was clear and the stars bright as I made my way back to the apartment. As I brushed my teeth I thought of how wonderful the night had been.  How comfortable everyone was - I was - so happy that I didn't turn back for home a few hours earlier.

More like this in the new year, please!

***A picture of the hoodie will be posted as soon as I finish scanning the slides and have a chance to get a good shot of it.

And so it goes.
*

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you decided to go. I can understand how your self-confidence was shaken from The Breakup six years (was it really that long?)ago. But you are still the same interesting, talented and fascinating person that you always were. You didn't change, your relationship did. That is in the past and it sounds like last night you finally put it behind you. You now have true friends now who really do care for you as you enter into this phase of your life. Don't look back, only look ahead. I'm happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you decided to go. I can understand how your self-confidence was shaken from The Breakup six years (was it really that long?)ago. But you are still the same interesting, talented and fascinating person that you always were. You didn't change, your relationship did. That is in the past and it sounds like last night you finally put it behind you. You now have true friends now who really do care for you as you enter into this phase of your life. Don't look back, only look ahead. I'm happy for you.

    P.S.

    I was going to say "I'm glad you put on your Big Girl Panties and decided to go" but I thought I would keep this commenet serious. Oops! I said it anyway didn't I?

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!!! Those DL-guys know their staff well. I'm glad you went and had a great night out.

    I know it's easy to say, but burry the past and look at the future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love you so much and am so encouraged by everything that has been going on in your life lately ... learning what to keep, what to let go of, having to experience disapointments with things you expected to be there but maintaing a STAUNCH ;-) resolution to let even DISAPPOINTMENT go ... you're such a beautiful, loving and caring man and you deserve the best of EVERYTHING, darling, so keeping putting those tootsies down, baby steps, and walk in to a much-deserved, healthy peaceful future.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...