Friday, July 11, 2008

NOLA Countdown – Heart Rate Increases

I learned this morning via email (what else?) that at least 2 more folks have been located and plan to join us for the reunion dinner, if not a few other events. One happens to be a guy on whom I had an enormous crush. Thick dark brown hair and the darkest brown eyes that never strayed from yours during a conversation. Oh, dip me in mayonnaise and call me a tuna melt.

Bringing out the feminine in this budding 13 year old gay boy, he was my favourite dance partner during ballroom classes when boys led boys and girls led girls; the object was to get in touch with what each experienced as the opposite sex. Interestingly, he always chose me for some reason and I didn’t complain. He led as if I was a girl and he had total control –he did. Of course, the bit of lagniappe was when our private bits came in contact as in a Tango, and he would rub very close. Control, dear God, control!!! Somebody fetch me the rosewater…

When it became my turn to lead, it was like driving a car without power steering because he resisted my lead commands at first, but as we settled into our “roles” he responded willingly to all moves being a very smooth partner.

He always complimented me on my ability to follow so well. I always ribbed him about being a very strong girl who wasn’t about to be led anywhere she didn’t want to go. We laughed a lot. I wish I had known that line about Fred and Ginger “she did everything he did, and she did it backwards, in high heels!” Here's one of my fave dances by the two greats - in that infamous ostrich feathered gown that Ginger loved and Fred despised, though after seeing the rushes he had to admit that the gown was perfect. If you watch the film (not this clip) you can see bits of feathers flying through the air.


There’s these 40 years of life in the meantime, and I wonder how it has treated him. Sometimes it’s better to live with the memories, but no matter, it will be great to catch up and connect again.

The second person I remember only slightly, we were never partnered in performances, but as I remember, we traveled well together. She’s a grandmother!

And so it goes.
*

2 comments:

  1. Ah, my friend, it sounds as though you have been too long without love or a hug, and these memories come flooding back. Don't be disappointed when you see him. You don't look the same either.
    Enjoy the experience and as Simon and Garfunkel sang: preserve your memories, they're all that's left you.
    Your travel is in my prayers, and I demand to see pictures when you get home. (if I can call it that)

    You really ought to come back to NYC. There is nothing for you at the beach. You're living to work, not working to live.

    Think about it. We're here for you.
    THC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers video. What a wonderful trip back in time. Don't give up on Rehoboth yet. You have friends down here also. Remember, Rehoboth is more than a beach. Sure, sometimes it's a bitch but that's life. This is where the laughs are. Rehoboth wouldn't be the same without you.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...