Sunday, May 17, 2009

Crappy Days and Blue Birds Always Get Me Down

Just another fine day here in Happy Valley, and like that...

For the past few days something has been getting into the large trash can (complete with a snap lock lid) to rummage through and find anything edible. I've come back to find foil, bread wrappers, bones, and veggie waste strewn about the area, but couldn't figure out how, or what, was getting into the thing. The lid stands about 50 inches from the ground and there was no sign of damage to the flower beds or anything else for that matter. There is nothing nearby that could be used in this sort of caper.

I was awakened this morning at 4:40 by a thumping sound coming from outside the kitchen window. Something was certainly in the can as I walked out to the porch to check out the scene it was bouncing all about. And then when it heard my voice everything went suddenly still - not a sound - then up pops a head looking straight at me with a look of sheer terror on its face and shot right out of the can barely touching the ground as it practically flew into the marshes.

The culprit? A very fat raccoon.

But how did it get into the can with the snap lock? A mystery for the ages, I suppose. I know how bright and creative coons can be, but can't help wondering how it gets any leverage to pop the lid. A trip to the hardware store to fetch a large paving stone is in my future.

A few errands were on my gay agenda this morning before work, so I left the apartment about an hour beforehand, just to make sure there was enough time. I hardly get 2 miles down the road when a state trooper turned on an otherwise flashing amber light to full red traffic mode so parisheners of an RC church could get out of the parking area without having to deal with folks going to work on a Sunday morning. To my amazement, he kept the light red (on the major roadway, no less) while the entire parking lot emptied onto the highway...20 minutes later the lot was empty, but traffic on roadway was backed up for miles in both directions. There has got to be a better way. With only enough time to get 2 errands out of the way before work, well I believe "pissed" just about covers my mood and I suspect the same was true of other drivers stuck behind me.

As I arrived at work the sky opened and the winds kicked up, too. I tried to make a run for it, but my umbrella turned inside out on the way and by the time I got the door open I was soaked to the skin. It took almost two hours for my clothes to dry. Well, at least I felt cool and refreshed. Damned umbrellas!!!

Getting back to the apartment a while ago I find the place has been invaded by tiny ants which are crawling all over the countertops, stove, sink, and the kitchen garbage can, which has only waste from last evenings meal - mostly veggie scraps. Never having such an invasion before I am puzzled as to the reason for the sudden appearance. No foods are ever left out, counters cleaned after every use, and the sink scrubbed just this morning due to the fact that I was awakened an hour earlier than usual (damned raccoon!) and had extra time on my hands. Perhaps the rain and wind forced them into the dry space of the apartment.

I got rid of the garbage bag straight away, (there ain't nuthin' in there for the coon) then set about killing the remaining buggers as I washed down the appliances etc, with soap and water followed by a mixture of peroxide and water. I hate to use chemical bug killers so there is none around; never needed it before.

Still, I am grateful to be indoors out of the weather and about to treat myself to a festive evening cocktail. Clearly, this was not my day. Somewhere G*d is having a good laugh.

Well, Cheers!

And so it goes.
*

4 comments:

  1. I suspected your nocturnal visitor was a racoon and you confirmed it. Racoons have almost human-like hands and they can manage to open just about anything, including door handles. Make sure you door is locked at night. You wouldn't want one crawling in bed with you.

    As far as the ants, a simple small ant trap will get rid of the ants. My house was built on an ancient ant trail. I had a heck of a time getting rid of the ants until I got the ant trap. Haven't had once since. However, I do have ants at the front desk at work. They must be on the march. Be careful or you'll get ants in your pants.

    St. Jude's Church, you gotta love them! What nightmare (or "daymare") that you described. I have a time with the little church on the corner of the development where I live. So far no cop manning the traffic light. In fact, no traffic light yet.

    I hope tomorrow is better for you. Already it holds promise. You're meeting me for a Mumbo Jumbo at the Feathered One. Now that would be the highlight of anyone's day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to know what sort of cocktail.

    It is disappointing to know about the raccoon, I was kind of hoping was goblins or demons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last evening's FC was an extra dry Martini with olives.

    I was hoping for something a little more dramatic, too. But, a coon is a coon, dontcha know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the post; the grumpy looking blue bird was really terrific, and your title made me think of The Carpenter's song, 'RAINY DAYS AND MONDAYS ALWAYS GET ME DOWN'......

    ....hey, today is Monday!

    Have a better week.

    As to the raccoons - we used to feed them until they tried to open our screen door on the patio and come in for a midnight snack - they're cute, but aggressive!

    Used to have the babies as pets but always had to turn them loose because they got cranky. Diane

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...