Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Progress and Surprise

Holding up and actually making progress under the pressure of working 6 or 7 days weekly surprises me. That the hours vary between job #1 and job #2 is a real help. With #1 errands can be run after work, and with #2 they can be run before work; this means that my day off can be one of rest and relaxation rather than facing the faceless hordes attempting to get the same errands done. The logistics are still being worked out, but I am certain this is the best way to go.

Meanwhile, the stoopid that is the ER Assoc. is in limbo at present, possibly due to their receiving copies of the letters sent to me over the past SIX months, which will undoubtedly be followed by the inevitable circular firing squad of blame. After which I will get another round of calls from yet another gerbil-brained pencil pusher in their employ. (My apologies to all real gerbils.) If this ever comes to an end, it will not be in my lifetime.

Work at the job #2 is going well and I am having a great time meeting new people and old acquaintances from my previous life. The new additions to the staff and those returning for the season are pretty easygoing and friendly. I learn something new and different every day I work there; more hospitality trivia to fill my tiny brain. As I mentioned before there are a few drama queans, but I give them a wide berth and keep moving on.

A few months ago I wrote about applying for the temporary position of Census Taker in whatever form (they have cutsie, silly little formal-sounding job titles) and that after taking the test I didn't hear another word from them. Well, my friend over at Retired in Delaware did, subjected himself to the week of training and promptly quit a few days later for various reasons, not the least of which was the lack of guidance or support.

So you can imagine my surprise when I returned to the apartment yesterday evening to find THREE voice mail messages. That in itself was a very strange occurance, I can go for days without a single phone call - except for cold calls and telemarketers - so I sat down to listen to whoever called and got a real surprise.

I listened to the first posted at 10:20 am, by Charlene from.... The Census Bureau.

The second arrived at 12:25 pm, by Linda from.... The Census Bureau.

The third clocked in at 3:30 pm, by Ellen from.... oh, go ahead and guess.

All request that I return their call ASAP, at the same number. I wonder why I am suddenly so popular and in such demand? Sorry, ladies...three months have passed and I have already taken another job, but thanks anyway for thinking of me. The Gubament at its best!

Another good day at job #2 with great customers, wait staff working well together, and a clear blue sky that allowed the sliding glass doors to be removed so folks could do some people watching as they dined - and now it's time for a cocktail as I prepare supper, which will consist of TTS Peter's Salmon Fillet with a Balsamic Glaze, asparagus, and a salad.

And so it goes.
*

3 comments:

  1. Good news about the new job. Glad things are going well.

    As an old friend, please don't over do this wild schedule this summer. We don't want to see you sick in the fall.

    Listen to your body and re-evaluate your energy each night before bed.

    THC

    ReplyDelete
  2. That recipe was on my mind too for tonight, having eaten out most days since Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so hoping you would take that Census job. Imagine how many blog postings you could have gotten out of that!

    I am so glad to hear that your new job is going well and both jobs work with your chore schedule. You've come a long way BABY! Remember just a couple of years ago? Whatever happened to THAT guy? WOW! Although I must say I never had a doubt.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...