Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Autumn Arrives in Rehoboth, and it Ain't Pretty

Overnight the weather changed dramatically - barometric pressure changed, temperatures plummeted, winds kicked up and I was awakened by the popping of my ears. This was 3 am, and sleep alluded me from then on. Turned on the light and read while the wind howled and shook the building. Just before dawn I made a coffee, toasted a muffin, and munched on a bunch of grapes. As the sun weakly began to make an entrance, I showered, shaved, and dressed for work.

Things changed for the worse throughout the day as the sun disappeared; gale force winds and heavy rains are in the forecast for the next 2 days.

The day at job #2 was delightful. I worked with two wonderful Russian servers who are talented, funny, and imaginative. They picked my brain about American slang words and phrases and I was hard pressed to explain them using words normally used in our language. Don't think I did too bad, but damn, it ain't easy anymore.

I could feel the weather shift last evening as I joined two friends for a burger and conversation - neither of which we'd shared since May. It was great fun with lots of laughs, good wine, and good food, but we knew the change in weather was about to happen.

When I got back to the apartment I decided to cook up a pork loin roast - at least part of the way - and am in the process of finishing it off tonight. The apartment smells wintery, and I plan to enjoy the meat tonight with a baked sweet potato, sauteed green beans with sesame seeds, and a small salad.

Exhausted from last night's lack of sleep, it's a relief to have so little to do to enjoy a relaxing supper. Comfort food, at that. I will sleep well tonight. Time to finish off the sweet potato and prep the gravy. Yes, there will be lots of gravy.

The after-shift cocktail today was a Cosmo, and I am about to enjoy a final farewell to the season with a gin and tonic with the roast.

Cheers!

*Photo is an homage to Ur-Spo, the dear.

And so it goes.
*

3 comments:

  1. Dr. Cajun I presume? *wink*

    You're looking good even with that wicked smile on your face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to chat with foreigners or even people from a different part of the country who expose the various idioms, slang, etc., that I am so used to. It makes me think about my own language and why we say what we say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes indeed, the change of the season is upon us. I am looking forward to the reoccupation of our town after the Summer Horde was receded. We love their money (especially in the parking meters) but it is always liberating when they depart.

    And as we settle in for another Winter of Our Discontent, I wonder what this season will bring? One thing is for sure, it is never boring. I make sure of that.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...