Thursday, October 15, 2009

Babysitting Gemstones

Due to an Atlantic storm making its way up the coast from the Carolinas heavy rains and high winds continued through out the day. "Weather unfit for man or beast" the recurring line from an old TV show skit is an apt description of the awfulness here.

One of those days you wish for nothing more than a good book, comforter, and hot cocoa. You've been there, I know you have.

But no. I had to drag my tired ol' carcass into the tempest, brave the dumbass drivers who forget how to drive in this kind of weather, and open the store at 9 a.m. Between that time and the arrival of my replacement at 4:30, not one person walked through the doors.

I am an underpaid gem sitter, and that's the truth. I feel like an old dragon protecting his treasure of gold and jewels - desiring a nap as the rain pounded the roof of the building. That sound is always relaxing to me.

Watching the Weather Channel I find that it is going to get worse before it gets better over the weekend. Now how thrilling is that? Huh?

Although it's Jazz Fest weekend here, all bets are off whether we'll be busy at job #2 tomorrow. There are really good musicians on the bill this year but it is unclear if folks will leave the comfort of their homes, brave the wind and rain, to enjoy some good music and great performers. I would, but I love Dave Koz and the Spinners. Stay tuned.

The landlady and I both kicked into 'winter cooking' mode as I presented her with a plate of smothered chicken the other night, and last evening she presented me with an acorn squash stuffed with turkey sausage and vegetables. That will be my supper tonight as I ride out the storm praying that we do not lose electric power, as everything in the apartment requires it to function. I do not look forward to a cold apartment, or a cold shower and shave in the morning, nor the inability to enjoy a hot cup of coffee or cocoa when I get up.

Positive thinking will get us through. Really. No, really.

And so it goes.
*

4 comments:

  1. I loved the description of your job as a dragon protecting jewels in his cave. Childhood images of cartoons and book illustrations came to mind and a smile came to my face.

    Stay warm, dry, and safe down there. We are swimming a bit too, but I think not as much as are you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too liked the verbal picture you painted of yourself as a "dragon protecting jewels in his cave." Why I do declare you could give Faysie a run for her money in the writing skills department.

    Stay warm and cozy in your bunker by the wetlands. Think of me tomorrow as I road spray my way up Rt. 1 to Pennsylvania. Thankfully, I won't be driving but will be a passenger in the back seat flapping my gums all the way up to the Keystone state. Oh Jack and Judy, do you know what you're in for?

    ReplyDelete
  3. winter cooking and hurricanes don't mix.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On those days when you're the only 'dragon' protecting those gems, can't you bring a book so you still have something to do.

    They can't fire you because that place is closing anyway.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...