Saturday, October 3, 2009

Full Moon and Empty Heads

The week's weather has been cool and breezy. It's been very busy at both jobs leaving no time to collect my thoughts (always a challenge) for a post.

A few good sales came my way at the store - always helpful, it means extra $$$ in commissions - and interesting shifts at the restaurant. Some of the people I work with there are extraordinary. New servers from Eastern Europe and Belarus present new challenges in communication. Since I prefer to address people by their given name and not a lazy Americanized version (i.e. Enrique, not Ricky - Bahram, not Bucky) it's been fun to learn correct pronunciation. At first they thought I was being silly, or mocking, but now I think they understand that I am dead serious and appreciate the effort on my part.

However, with the coming of the full moon the tides are higher and the level of crazy has risen as well. I had to run a few errands this morning (my only day off) and barely got back to the apartment intact. Supermarket morphed into the Stoopidmarket. The farmer's market almost became one huge food fight as two old biddies screeched and clawed over each other for the largest perfect local tomatoes and cantaloupes; their language would have made a sailor blush. Ah, the life in LSD (Lower, Slower Delaware)

Stopping at the pharmacy one couldn't help but notice a well dressed, perfectly coiffed woman arguing with the pharmacist over the cost of her prescriptions. Her whines "What about my insurance?" grew louder each time the poor guy explained that she had reached the limit of her drug coverage for the year. At first I felt sorry for her. I have no coverage and it's a struggle. But then, as she got into her car, I saw the signage on her Mercedes SUV. She just happens to be one of the richest designers in the state.

Sympathy. Evaporates. Instantly. So much for "Welfare Queens"!!!

As I left the pharmacy it began to rain and by the time I arrived in the driveway it had become a deluge, I sat listening to music for 20 minutes waiting for the rain to let up. It didn't, so I grabbed a few bags and made a run for it. I did this three times to get all the items into the apartment. Shed the wet clothes and took a hot shower. Ready for the remainder of the day, as they say.

I'm craving brunch food and a Bloody Mary. My gay agenda is almost complete. Following brunch there is some bulk cooking to do for the next two weeks. No day off for two weeks and I doubt there'll be reserved energy to cook meals every evening.

Of course, the sun is out now. Figures, right?

Message from a friend just arrived in the inbox suggesting a dining out experience to catch up. We haven't seen one another all summer and he feels it's about time we did. I think it's a good idea.

Well, cheers!

And so it goes.
*

4 comments:

  1. Enjoy your outing with the friend before the 2 week work marathon hits. Yes, the stoopid is out there in full force, so be careful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we were talking about you tonight at your favorite Greek food dining establishment.

    You may be gone but you are certainly not forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We still have that dead TV to remove or has it morphed into your decor by now?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cajun, I hope you had a great night out, good food, nicewine, great company.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...