Saturday, October 17, 2009

Post Racist America? Maybe Not.

So much for the Post Racist America thingy. From NOLA.COM

Interracial couple denied marriage license in Tangipahoa Parish

A Louisiana justice of the peace said he refused to issue a marriage license to an interracial couple out of concern for any children the couple might have.

'My main concern is for the children,' said Keith Bardwell, justice of the peace in Tangipahoa Parish.

Keith Bardwell, justice of the peace in Tangipahoa Parish, says it is his experience that most interracial marriages do not last long.

"I'm not a racist. I just don't believe in mixing the races that way," Bardwell told the Associated Press on Thursday. "I have piles and piles of black friends. They come to my home, I marry them, they use my bathroom. I treat them just like everyone else."

Bardwell said he asks everyone who calls about marriage if they are a mixed race couple. If they are, he does not marry them, he said.

Bardwell said he has discussed the topic with black people and white people, along with witnessing some interracial marriages. He came to the conclusion that most of black society does not readily accept offspring of such relationships, and neither does white society, he said.

"There is a problem with both groups accepting a child from such a marriage," Bardwell said. "I think those children suffer and I won't help put them through it."

Isn't he thoughtful, though...Only thinking about the offspring.

One has to wonder if this guy knows that the President of these United States is the product of an interracial coupling. Oh, maybe he's a birther and doesn't believe Obama is really our President at all. Would that surprise me? Um, no.

G*d, the stoopid burns.

Read the whole bizarre story HERE.

More later.

4 comments:

  1. It is important to know if they already had a license in hand and only wanted a ceremony? Or were they refused a license from him? If it was just the ceremony, the question is if he has a right to refuse for what-ever reason anyone may have. I believe a clergyman can refuse to marry a same sex couple with no complaints from anyone. Why the difference, one for race the other for gender.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or that Miss USA 2007 Rachel Smith had a black father and a white mother. She didn't seem to have much problem being accepted by either race.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As to Ken's comment, I am fairly certain that the refusal was at the license level which is what makes this story so incredible.
    It is common for clergy or other officiants to refuse to do the ceremony for various reasons. In such cases, valid license in hand, the couple only needs to seek out someone who will do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unbeliveable that some of these dinasaurs still are around. I guess they will always be with us.

    I especially like his comment:
    "I have piles and piles of black friends. They come to my home, I marry them, they use my bathroom. I treat them just like everyone else."

    Note the use of "they" and "them." Where is the "you people" reference?

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...