Thursday, October 8, 2009

Now, Where Was I?

Following the full moon madness, it's been a hectic time as I worked to consolidate by juggling funds from the old bank to the new one. Having less than an hour each day to get it done, it will take another week or two before I have everything in place to complete the move. The ugly truth is that it takes an enormous effort to extricate oneself from a financial institution and get established in another. I am positive it will be worth it in the end. Oh, and of course, the old bank is suddenly offering incentives to stay with them. I would have if they had given those same incentives when I asked about them. Snap! Disappear!

The weather has been glorious, with mornings starting out crisp and cool in the 50s and temps rising into the low 70s by afternoon. Accentuated by clear blue skies and fresh breezes off the Atlantic. I was able to take two walks on the Boardwalk this week before job #2. I love how the salt air and winds relax the mind - and body.

Speaking of job #2, the hectic pace of summer crowds has tapered off and the locals/regulars are making their way back to enjoy the off season in town. Last weekend we celebrated our own version of Oktoberfest and as you can see from the pictures, the two crazies (Dos Locos) dive right in. Even a hausfrau. Yes, including a menu of specials for the weekend that came from the Mexican enclaves of Germany. (whoda thunk it?) Oh, there was Bratwurst, kraut, schnapps, and more. There were also special beers on tap, as well. It was fun.

There has been turmoil at work this week and while it didn't involve me directly, it affected everyone indirectly and caused unpleasantness all round. Enjoying the company of the delighted locals' return helped ease everyone's nerves.

On a different note, two more couples from my previous life and folks who were dear to me arrived to dine and were surprised to see me - as usual - and following a bit of small talk about nothing in particular said, "hey, we'll have to get together sometime to catch up" and I simply said, "we all know that's not going to happen, so let's not even pretend." They were stupefied and didn't even attempt a rebuttal. Three years! Not a phone call, or email. Sorry, the pity party of one doesn't dine here anymore.

I'm tired of playing by everybody else's rules. This is my life, not a f**king game. If you wanna be in it, great. If you don't, then stop pretending to want to. It's a total waste of time, makeup, and fabulous accessories.

My chances for additional days/hours at job #2 have been dashed due to the announcement that the store will remain open through Christmas. Yes, I will be needed there and since I've worked for the company for 11 years, I feel a certain responsibility to be there for them as they were for me as I rode out the stormy seas of the past 3 years. I'm funny that way.

I was offered a seat on a bus from Gayberry to DC this weekend for the Equality March, but there was no one to replace me at the store, so that opportunity also went down in flames - or flaming - or something.

On that note, it's time for a festive cocktail and supper. Cheers!

And so it goes.
*

3 comments:

  1. I liked your retort to the folks from your past. That's exactly how I felt about the class reunion for me last weekend. I had a "report" on the festivities. As I suspected it was a "love fest" between the organizer and another classmate, each congratulating the other on what swell guys they are. Excuse me while I puke. The organizer wants to do another in the spring. No thank you.
    BTW, I love the hausfrau!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering if and when you would run into folks from your previous life. You did and handled it appropriately.

    Work looks like fun. Loved the hausfrau!

    We'll miss you on the bus this Sunday. You'll be there in though if not body. Still, I wish you could have made the trip.

    Enjoy this glorious weather! Everyday is a gift!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you will not be attending the march. Won't this be a first for you? I mean, 1979, 1987, 2001 and the protest of the war in Iraq in 2003! Great memories and I will miss you.

    THC

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...