Monday, September 27, 2010

Cajun & Romanian Connection

This is my friend Ciatau Silviu Ionut, (Silviu) in Romania. (click to embiggen) He worked with me last summer and fall at the restaurant and planned to stay for a while, but his mother became ill and - the good man (and son) that he is - he returned home to care for her.

To my surprise he recently "friended" me on Face Book and I was happy to reconnect.  We commented on photos and other posts, but nothing personal.

This evening after work I came home immediately in an effort to get the kidney stone out and over with on the next 2 days off, and since I had no appetite I checked email and found a comment from Silviu on his new job in Romania. When I log in to FB to see any other comments, I receive an instant message, or 'chat message' and it's from Silviu. Seems we were both thrilled to connect again.

The time in Romania is 7 hours ahead of the US, so it is already Tuesday there. We "talked" about many things; his mother's health (which is better), the new job at a new huge hotel in his city, Rehoboth, of course, and our friendship. Seems it meant more to him than I imagined. I always believe that I receive more from those from other cultures than they do from mine. Anyway.

He has excelled in his studies of management, service, and fine dining service at university, receiving 2 diplomas in the 2 areas he wants to pursue in the future.

He wrote about missing Rehoboth and all his friends here; his summer at Dos Locos and befriending me; his desire to return and spend a year here where he felt more comfortable than in his own city.  That is saying something.

We "chatted" for almost an hour and I finally suggested he get some rest since he's been working maddening hours getting the hotel's restaurants ready for the Grand Opening, which takes place with much fanfare on Friday, October 1st. He sent a 'smiley face' and wrote, "you are always ready with a sensible suggestion - I love you for that - and you have also said things that I need to hear right now."

I didn't want to press on that one.  He doesn't know how much I appreciate his friendship and openness; his willingness to share heavy personal stuff with someone from another culture, and his longing to return to RB in the future.

Meanwhile, I am still trying to pass the little darling kidney stone. The urine turned a bit red today and the stinging reminded me that it was on the move. The pressure mounts.  Thank G*d I have the next 2 days off.

F**k the kidney stone, I am a happy man and will sleep well tonight.

And so it goes...we hope.
*

3 comments:

  1. This is a nice story. You have to admire folks like your Romanian friend who come to a country with a different culture and language and work hard to make a success. It makes us appreciate what has come to us a lot easier. I wish him the best.

    I hope you pass that kidney stone. All that water drinking didn't help?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you peed out the stone the first day, so you still have another day to get back to your old [young] self. HUGS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post and comment that you were a happy man despite the kidney stone reminded me of an old saying: Friendship doubles our joy and divides our grief. Here's to hoping that the kidney stone goes away quickly never to return and that your Romanian friend does (return)!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...