Sunday, September 5, 2010

Rehoboth Summer Season Almost Over, But with a few Surprises.

My mood this morning walking to work after a delicious breakfast of eggs, toast, and nectarines was good preparation for the day. The weather was a bit too cool (54') for some beach-goers so the arrival of diners was steady, not overwhelming, and we had enough servers to handle the flow without getting slammed.

I was given a "Thank You" gift this afternoon - a sort of bonus for surviving and enduring the season physically and emotionally intact - and was (again) surprised by the generosity of the Dos Locos.

An added high note was that all foreign staff have been invited back to work at Dos Locos next season. The boss (no fool he) figured that if they survived the rigorous demands placed on them, they have earned the privelidge to return for another season. That invitation is their additional bonus and will save them $$$ not having to register for a referral.

I was overjoyed to hear this news since I've made so many new friends, enjoyed their company, their work ethic, and their daily hugs as they arrive for their shift. They never refer to me by name, only "sir" which is strange to me, but they seem to enjoy my company and ability to detect their moods (homesickness, personal safety, trust, and needed emotional support) and empathize with their emotions.

These guys and gals - ages 19 to 26 - are brave, resourceful, hard-working, intelligent, and blessed with a sense of humour that only comes from people who have been oppressed for a very long time. Unfortunately, our American youth don't get it. Everything must be offered to them so they can accept or refuse the___________ fill in the blank.  Sad.

The seasonal stress seems to have crept into my bones this weekend.  I am very tired. Even preparing supper required great effort and the bed (nearby) is calling out to me.

*Image above of Sasha, Da Boss, and Me. All in black, or something close to it. (click image to embiggen.)

And so it goes.
*

4 comments:

  1. I'm happy to hear that you survived it. I did see your restaurant over the Summer but it was a super busy Saturday evening and I had all four kids with me. Not the best time to visit.
    Take Care, Your Friend, m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Restaurant work is very demanding, especially seasonal restaurant work. You and your co-workers are to be commended for providing outstanding service to the many touristas who invaded our small town.

    For you, I am very happy that you have found your niche. I wonder where you would be if not for the Breakup four years ago. Volunteering your time stuffing condoms at Camp Rehoboth? You could do better and you ARE doing better.

    Kudos to you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again a Surprise Recognition, W!

    All I can say is... do I smell olives?

    ((((HUGS)))) my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Mark: Nights are always a mad time. When you come down again with the kids stop by for lunch or just say, HI. It is quieter this time of year.

    @Ron: Thanks for the comment and the support over the years.

    @Peter: Yes indeed, you did smell olives - and hugs back to you, my friend.

    Thanks for the visit and comments, all.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...