Friday, September 17, 2010

Close Encounters of the WTF Kind. Part 2.

At work today someone from the previous life (whom I had not seen in 4 years) walked into the restaurant and seemed stunned when I greeted him.

I said, "hi *****,  it's good to see you.  (And I meant it.) How many in your party?"

He: I thought you left the area years ago.  What are you doing here?

Me: Why would I leave this place?  I love it here, in fact, I live in town now. All bad things (like the good ones) must come to an end. I take it you've not been here in a while; much has happened since then.

He: well, after all the trouble you caused no one expected you to show your...

Me:  Whoa! NO ONE? Whatever you heard 4 years ago, wasn't valid then and isn't valid today.  There is no reason for me to hide or run away.   Now, how many in your party and would you like a table or booth?

He: Um, I don't think we will be eating here.  Thanks, anyway.

Me:  No problem.  It was nice to see you and I hope, clear the stale air from 4 years ago.

With that - looking puzzled and a bit disoriented - he gave me one last side glance and slithered out the door.

I have no idea what he heard and believed, and I don't care. All of that ancient history is his problem, not mine.

I can't believe this is still happening. You just can't make this stuff up.

And so it goes.
*

3 comments:

  1. Incredible. What was this "bad thing" that you did anyway? I must of been out of the loop for that gossip string. But then I'm out of the loop for much of Gayberry's "social elite." Just saying.

    You handled your situation very professionally. Kudos to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your ex partner must have spread terrible tales about you, especially when people 4 years after the event still talk about it.

    I'm with Ron, you handled it well, kudos to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll echo Ron and Peter: very well handled - on your part. The person from your previously life? eh, not so much.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...