Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Like a Marx Brothers Movie...

All I wanted to do today was rest, drink lots of water, pee, and get rid of this effing kidney stone. It was a day off and I wanted to be as quiet and restful as possible.

The Universe had other plans.

8:15 am - the landlord's handyman arrives to replace the light fixture over the dining area in the kitchen. Nice man. Has no electrical experience, but walks himself through the process by using the instructions provided by the manufacturer of the fixture I purchased as a replacement.  Takes over an hour and a half. He finally leaves and I settle back into bed to wait out the inevitable.


10:30 am - another knock on the door. The power company is here to verify that I am "green" and using only the acceptable bulbs, etc. to qualify for their new energy efficient user status. There is also a questionnaire to be completed. Another hour of my time.

12:20 pm - yet another knock on the door from  the landlord's plumbing company, to inform me that my toilet is leaking into the pre-school space below and he is here to find the main cause of the problem.

I had visions of the bathroom floor being ripped up to replace a ruptured pipe or some other water-related issue, but that didn't happen.  Turns out when they replaced the toilet in my bathroom, someone neglected to use the wax seal - a**holes!

1:00 pm - Meanwhile an electrician showed up, joining the crowd, checking the circuit breakers for the apartment; turning each breaker off and on a few times to make sure something (?) was alright. I have no clue what that something was and he wasn't forthcoming about his findings. This took another 2 and a half hours. Of course, every clock and appliance in the apartment was blinking after his tests and had to be reset.

I was alternately grateful and pissed that all this had to happen on a day when I was off from work and desperately trying to rid my tired old body of a giant boulder working its way out of my innards. This is what today reminded me of:
 Ain't passed the monster yet, but, OH, the pain. Thanks be to G*d that I am off again tomorrow.

And so it goes...or not.
*

4 comments:

  1. That's a classic scene. Hope the rock passes soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our daily lives are so much more interesting than anything on the so called "reality TV." We should be making Big Bucks off of our travails.

    Here's hoping you "give birth" soon and then can resume what passes for Normal around here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite teacher once said whenever we are taking ourselves and the world too seriously, we should watch a Marx Brothers movie.
    By coincidence, I am listening to Il Trovatore. My favorite version of this opera is from this movie !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you sure that all those repairmen were not secretly planting bugs and video cameras on behalf of "Christine" in preparation for the new DE? You know, she will have to enforce her new law that no one ever... well, you know. *eg*

    (Hope that stone passes soon!)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...