Saturday, June 18, 2011

Anyone Can Whistle - Except Gay People*

For some reason I have been humming (and singing, G*d Help us!) tunes from Sondheim's 1964 flop, Anyone Can Whistle since I woke up this morning.  I have no idea why.  Was it triggered by a dream?  Dunno. Dreams were very bizarre last night.

As with many Sondheim shows, this one was way ahead of its time; starring Angela Lansbury (2 years before Mame), Lee Remick (pictured above at the Opening Night Cast Party, with Sondheim) and Harry Guardino.  Herbert Ross choreographed the musical numbers and the entire production was under the direction of the brilliant Arthur Laurents. Who also wrote the book.

Anyway...From humming to singing the title tune I went right into Everybody Says Don't (which was recorded by Streisand for one of the Broadway albums) and finally crashed and burned with the finale, With So Little To Be Sure Of, as I arrived at work. That one played in my tiny brain all day.

I just arrived home and before I become combustive must play the disc as I enjoy a few olives and prepare supper.  It's a good thing I don't have a neighbor in the rear apartment.  That living room is opposite mine and I plan to sing along. I am sure the dogs in the neighborhood will be howling to my vocals, as well.

Oh well.  I'm just a Broadway Baby!

* Yes, that too is a myth.

And so it goes.
*

4 comments:

  1. If your feel like singing, I say go ahead and SING! Tain't nobody's business if you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK. So, so now I've got "Everybody Says Don't" circling in my brain and it's all your fault. But I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Mitch: You say that like it's a bad thing. I welcome my "song of the day" since I usually wake up humming something, (usually obscure) and it feeds me for the day.

    Glad you know the show, too.

    Thanks for the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I really wasn't complaining (although it has continued to play in my head for more than 12 hours). I, too, usually wake up humming (well, singing in my case) something and I usually have no idea why that particular something is in my head.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...