Friday, June 24, 2011

Get Up! You're Not Getting Any Prettier Lying There...

Maybe it's the new medication I am taking for the arthritis, but not having much success with a long-term beauty-sleep these days (Lord knows I can use it) and if I continue to lie there tossing and turning I am more tired than when I went to bed the night before.

So, when I woke this morning at 3:45 am, knowing that it was the end of any real relaxing sleep I might wish for, I jumped out of bed, threw on shorts, sneakers,  tee-shirt and while a coffee was brewing went downstairs and ran laundry...THREE loads in all, before it was all over. The laundry room is at street level just below my apartment making this chore much easier than in the past - when I had to drive 12 miles (each way) to a clean laundromat to do the deed.

Had an eggs and toast breakfast, took a shower & shaved, made a sandwich for lunch and headed off to what became a busy day at the restaurant. Served well over 100 meals at lunch, then hit the bar for my AS cocktail.  This evening's treat was a silver tequila Cosmo on the rocks in a frosty glass.  Heaven!  Absolute heaven.  I was tempted to have a second, but my better self bitch-slapped reality into me.

Learned this afternoon that the beloved pet dog of friends from my previous life died last night.  Years ago I took care of him while they vacationed and he was a happy, intelligent little monster whom I adored.  And I think the feeling was mutual.  Not caring how it might be received,  I called to offer my condolences and sympathy.  They were surprised by the call, but in their grief they seemed to welcome it. It was brief with no suggestion of possible future get-togethers. And that's OK.

Though thunderstorms were forecast and threatened with intermittent dark clouds all day, nothing materialized and I walked home under a hot sun in high humidity.  I would have given anything to walk home in the middle of a heavy rain storm.

After supper, Elaine Stritch at Liberty is on the gay DVD agenda tonight. "Nothing comes from nothing, nothing ever could - so somewhere in my youth or childhood, I must have done something good"

I look forward to a pleasant, relaxing sleep tonight.  May it be so.

And so it goes.
*

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear of the loss of a pet. It's always traumatic. You did the right thing by your call.
    I know you never expect anything in return and so I know you made the call for all the right reasons.

    Proud to call you friend.
    DD

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...