Sunday, June 5, 2011

Five on the Fifth

Sorry to be so late to the party, but it's been a very busy day.  More on that in another post.

Stephen Chapman at his blog “The State Of The Nation UK”, has a monthly feature called “Five on the Fifth” in which bloggers may participate by posting five photos on their blog and exchanging links with his.  The five pictures, taken in the days leading up to the fifth of the month, may be random or may follow his suggested theme, which this month is “New”.

This was a good fit for me this month, because a strange little houseplant purchased when I moved here a year ago (to have another life form for company) suddenly began to send up a new shoot and I wanted to capture it's growth progress.  I didn't use flash purposely, because of the reflection from the shiny leaves.  Flash gave the little plant an unreal quality. The last shot is how the shoot looks today as it unfolds and grows much taller than any of the others. The plant must have decided it likes living here.  So, here are my 5.

First day new growth was noticed.
Three days later.
Another 3 days pass.
June 2, 2011 and another new shoot is emerging at bottom right of the other one.
Finally, June 5 - leaves are opening. Second shoot growing quickly.
I don't know why I liked this strange little plant.  Probably because of the shiny, wax-like leaves and it's odd shape.  Now that I see how it grows I can tell it's going to be a very large plant, eventually. If anyone has any idea it's name, let me know.

That's my contribution for this month. I appreciate any and all comments.

Update:  Thanks to Stan for the plant name - Zamioculcas - and a link to it's story at Wiki.

More later.
*

7 comments:

  1. Very nice pics. I'm glad you made a series out of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those plants. It's a ZZ plant. Species is Zamioculcas zamiifolia, hence the "ZZ". They do have cool growth patterns.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zamioculcas
    That was a nice set of time lapse showing the growth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Plants sure are amazing! Thanks for sharing.

    Love
    Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this plant too.

    I didn't know about 5 on the 5th yet I posted 5 pics (plus) on the 5th as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was cool to see the amazing growth on that plant. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Thanks for all the comments, guys. And thank you Stan for the name and link to Wiki pages.

    I must say when I first noticed the new growth, it had an alien look about it resembling scales more than what would eventually become leaves. Now I think it is beautiful. I hope this one eventually flowers.

    Thanks again for the visits. You've made my day.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...