Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Geezer or Codger???

One or the other. 

Yesterday, in a fit of bravery (or great stupidity), I applied for Social Security and Medicare Benefits online. G*d help me.  Then began referring to my new status as a " Geezer" but today my darlin' Irish Gen. Mgr. (the dear) told me "No, not geezer, Codger"! 

Never liked the word geezer; codger was always more interesting. A word not heard much these days.  It always conjures up for me, interesting images of character actors in old films of the 30s and 40s, or the great Waldorf and Statler of Muppet Show fame.  So I decided to look the phrases up online and here's what came up:

Noun  1.    old geezer - an elderly man  antique, gaffer, old-timer, oldtimer graybeard, greybeard, old man, Methuselah - a man who is very old

Next:

Noun  1.  old codger - used affectionately to refer to an eccentric but amusing old man

Since I am no "Methuselah" and can be amusing (if only to myself), I prefer the latter moniker, if you don't mind. Or, even if you do. So there.

So, that's that. Old Codger it is.  Done!  I smell olives.

And so it goes.
*

9 comments:

  1. I think I'll go for codger as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Avoid "cadger." In England "to cadge" is to beg. For example, "Can I cadge a lift off you?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Rick: Glad you agree. ;-)

    @MP: Thanks for the correction, I thought one probably evolved from the other, given Americans love of changing only certain letters in a word to make it theirs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! And I would never call you an old geezer. m.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to Old Codger Land, from this much older Geezer (that's what I am at 69). You are now eligible to join us for our monthly Old Geezer's Outing at a ridicously expensive restaurant. The last two we went to were Luca in Millsboro and Nage in Rehoboth. Next up, Dos Locos in Rehoboth. Care to join us?

    ReplyDelete
  6. How about "The Venerable Codger?"

    ReplyDelete
  7. At:Ur-spo & MP: oh, I like both of these. Would you mind if I used them alternately, giving due credit, of course?

    @Ron: Since I am not a geezer, I think I'll pass. If it will be a large party, you'd better make reservations well in advance. We book up very quickly nowadays. And don't forget to pick up your Club Loco card, while there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the definitions. I'm going to go with codger myself. But, although some might consider me old enough now, I'm just not ready. So, when I'm really, really old, codger it will be.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...