Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Plumbing Encounters of the First & Second Kind

Normally I welcome new encounters. (Now stop that!)

Yes, well...Just as I'm getting out of the shower this morning, someone is pulling on my door. (Couldn't get in because I had it double locked.) The time is 8 am and I am puzzled that it's the plumbers arrived to service the heatpumps and AC units.  I was told yesterday that they would arrive between 10 am and 12 noon.

I threw on some shorts and shirt and let the guy in.  By his accent I could tell he was from the West Indies and was confused by his work order. Turns out, he was not here to service my old unit, but to replace it with a new - more efficient - one. Yay, for me!!!

I showed him where things were and said I would be leaving for work in an hour. Should he have further questions I would be glad to supply an answer if I had one, otherwise, call the landlord or the plumbing company's offices.

He banged on the door a few more times, but after that I heard only the sound of large crates being dropped to the pavement (G*d help us!) as he unloaded the new unit.  Before leaving for work I took the initiative to show him where the thermostat for the current unit was located, which he greatly appreciated. A good sign, that.

Since he had keys to the apartment I left the door unlocked as I walked down the stairs on the way to work, he was sitting cross-legged on the floor of his van reading instructions for installing the new unit.  A bad sign, that.

On the walk home after work I thought about the new, energy efficient AC/heatpump and when I arrived to find brand new TRANE in place of the old York, I was thrilled.  Once inside however, not so much.  The old thermostat was still on the wall, nothing was connected and I am without AC for the duration. No note was left; no phone call received. Fortunately, the humidity is low and the overnight temps are to be in the low 70s F. I'll survive, but I ain't none too happy with this situation.

An early call to the landlord is first on the gay agenda in the morning and I hope that by tomorrow evening I will enjoy a cocktail and supper in a cool environment.

And so it goes.
*

4 comments:

  1. such a depraved agenda it is too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why do you think our minds are always in the gutter? [because they are of course with an opening sentence like that!] ;)

    Hope things are up to speed so you have a cool place before summer is over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how frustrating it is to have these glitches in one's daily life that seem to go on and on. I hope your situation is quickly resolved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi

    A quick reminder to say that the next '5 on the fifth' is a few days away.

    This months sees the 25th month of this little photo challenge.

    Hope you can take part.


    Stephen

    http://thestateofthenationuk.blogspot.com/2011/06/july.html

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...