Wednesday, October 31, 2012

OK, so it's Halloween.

I just don't feel it this year.  Wonder why?

Maybe it's Superstorm-Sandy (I hate that name) withdrawal.  Maybe it's coming to grips with what happened.  Maybe it's attempting to wrap my head around the scope of the destruction and the slow road to recovery for so many, especially those in New York.

And maybe it's the realization that I am exhausted from the past 4 days and just want to get back to work, get out of myself, and be with people again. The fact that I was without electricity for less than 24 hours and experienced no flooding leads me to believe that I made the right decision to live in town.

I dragged myself out today to run a few errands and traveled west rather than east, didn't visit the ocean. I didn't want to see what I know is there.  I'll wait for a better day.  Today is cold, gloomy and gray; kinda like my mood. The streets in my part of town were still littered with debris, but the large broken branches were gone. 

The restaurant will open for dinner today at 4.  As far as I know all staff made it through the storm OK.  Though a few remain without electric power. At least I've not heard any bad news from the bosses.

I'll be grateful to get back to work tomorrow and not only for the joy of it. The combined bills for the recent blood work and x-rays of the hands arrived and is more than I expected. I also lost 3 days pay this week.

Good News:  The Cardinals that nest in the stand of bamboo next door have just now made a noisy appearance. I have not heard their song in days, I was afraid we'd lost them.

A sunny day and getting back to work will do wonders to cheer me up.

And so it goes.

*

3 comments:

  1. It doesn't feel like Halloween to me either. However, I have a bucket of candy ready by the front door and my pumpkin all lit up. I am exhausted and old. I hope this is the last "Storm of the Centruy" in my lifetime. This once a year Storm of the Century is getting tiresome.By the way, get that supplemental insurance to pay the other 20% that your Medicare coverage doesn't cover. It is well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good that things are getting back to normal for you. I went back to work today also. but there is destruction and road closures and snapped trees in my part of the world.

    ah, at least we are alive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. well there will be other Halloweens'
    I am glad to hear you are doing OK enough.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...