Sunday, October 28, 2012

Update: Hurricane Sandy & Me.

I didn't work today.  As posted last night, the mandatory evacuation began at 8 pm with Shelters opening at noon today and everyone getting out of Dodge by 8 PM tonight. Seeing photos of the restaurant completely boarded up on Face Book this morning, I sent a text asking if we were closed. Reply said "no, opening as usual."  Which was followed by an incoherent telephone conversation. Evidently, the Governor's message was not received by the locosguys, who pitched a hissy fit.  I was told to take the day off.  It's complicated. 

(Photo: High tide this morning on Rehoboth Beach. Note there is no beach visible, only ocean and the sea foam being pushed right up to the dunes. Photo from local newspaper website posted this morning.)

Last night during storm preparations I found that I neglected to remove the batteries from the emergency weather radio last year after hurricane Irene and they corroded, essentially ruining the innards of the radio. Salt air does that, I suppose. Since I was dressed for work anyway, I took a drive (hoping against hope) to try to find a new one.  No luck, of course. Most stores were closed, but those that were open had sold out of everything battery-related. Including batteries.

Northbound traffic was heavy, while southbound was empty, but for a few of us locals doing last minute things that ought to have been done last week.  Oh Sigh!

In any case, there are no hotel rooms to be had for 40+ miles.  Well, I have plenty of batteries, flashlights, and candles; canned goods, water, Kindle (fully charged) a land line phone as well as the cell phone. Unless the building blows down or washes away, I ought to be OK.  And if it does that's OK, too.

Bands of rain come and go, the winds are steady at about 15 - 25 mph. That will change as the night wears on.

And so it goes.
*

3 comments:

  1. What to you guys say in such circumstances? Good luck? Break a leg???

    Oh well, hope to find you on the other side...

    ...of the hurricane, of course! ;)

    We are due to get the tail of the beast up here in Montreal on Wednesday... a much tamer beast that is!

    Hugs
    Jon

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a Kindle - definite survival gear! Hope you are ok - I saw your blog from Retired in Delaware.
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking about you being in the 3/4 mile danger zone. I just called the hotel. Everything is cleared off the first floor except my co-worker Rober who is there with his cat (he's and his cat will be staying in a room on the 2nd floor). There is NO ONE in the hotel. I was scheduled to go into work tomorrow but I called in already. Hanging out here hoping we're safe as I hope you are safe and the power doesn't go out.

    Aren't these "storms of the century" getting old? Seems like de ja veu all over again.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...