Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Post-Sandy Update: Tuesday Morning

(Image: the street where I used to live, taken yesterday afternoon.  Now glad I live in town. The old neighborhood didn't do so well.)

Power went off at around 6 PM last evening. I broke out the candles and read for about 2 hours hoping for it to be restored.  It wasn't.  Kindle reading is very comforting.  Screen gives off a warm glow and is easy on the eyes.

Gave up, extinguished the candles and got under the covers as the wind and rain lashed the building. I was  asleep almost immediately.  Woke in the dark, lit a candle, found a watch - it was 5:30 AM - close to my usual wake-up time.

Half hour later the apartment hummed to life. Lights came on and all clocks were blinking. A few minutes later power went off again.  It has been flickering or going out momentarily ever since. When it remains on for  an extended period I will plug the refrigerator in, but not until then.

It is still dark out, the winds have diminished somewhat, though still strong, and rain continues to fall. The apartment felt cold when I woke but I attributed it to the stress of the past 48 hours.  Not so. The temperature had dropped 30' over night and the indoor temperature is 64' - outdoors it's 42'. As with the refrigerator, I will crank up the heat when the power is relatively stable. Same goes for a coffee and breakfast. I am starved.  Pulled on some sweats to take the chill off the old body and wanted to get this posted before the power goes down again.

When things calm down a bit I may take a walk around town to check things out, but not in this heavy rain and gusty winds, thank you very much.

Be safe everyone.

More later.
*

3 comments:

  1. Glad to see you made it to the other side! Hehe!

    Sandy is pushing some amazing hot air up here. We should get the leftovers in by tomorrow... so they say!

    The wind blew quite hard last night but it felt more to me like a blizzard... without the snow. It's sunny right now and the winds have clamed down. (Tuesday 8:26 AM)

    :¬)
    Hugs
    Jon

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are alive, and that's all that matters.

    currently 48 degrees here, no rain or wind. everything closed. nowhere to go. time to bake some bread and read and knit and listen to music!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope your power is on now. We were lucky, didn't lose power at all except for two hours the first night. Even got satellite reception which surprised me very much.

    Bill and I checked out the roads this morning. Downtown MIlton is still flooded but downtown Lewes is okay. I'm going to work this afternoon. Looking forward to normal life again.

    Hope yours gets back to normal soon.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...