Friday, October 19, 2012

Saying "Goodbye"

This time of year isn't ever easy for us at the restaurant. Many of the summer students return to their home countries and head back to school.

This year has been no different. As 4 students spent their second summer with us, a few were first timers and became dear to us all. Some have already left without saying good-bye (seems the young'uns are as sentimental as us older folks) others took a brief holiday for themselves; to see more of the country which they may never see again (NYC, Chicago, Miami, Boston, etc) and returned to see us once more. 

Some of these young adults will be unable to return next year because they will graduate and their respective governments are afraid they might try to defect to the US.  Yes.  The same old, same old.

Maria Alexandra returned to Romania last week and David drove back to Mexico on Monday. They both arrived safely; none the worse for wear and very tired.

Certainly there are others, but I had most interaction with these two and shared many memories and copious amounts of laughter.  I miss them terribly.  Still, they are both on FaceBook so we are in touch, at least for the time being.  Their lives will change with graduation and the summer of 2012 in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware USA will recede into fond memory. For that alone, I am truly grateful.

A few pictures of our last times together:

Kitchen & Wait folks. Maria (center), David (far right).
Three Mexican servers and Maria. What a motley crew! I love them.
Maria & the "Elder Sage"
David & Maria on their last day working together.
The upside of all these goodbyes over the years is that I've been invited to visit anytime and that's a comforting thought.  I know I would be treated well and shown the best their cities have to offer.  But...



And so it goes.
*

1 comment:

  1. What? Another summer gone? How fast the time goes by. I can't believe I'm coming up on six years at the hotel. I am truly the Old Man At The Hotel now. Most of the folks I worked with when I began in April of 2007 have moved on. I remain.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...