Friday, November 15, 2013

If Wishes Were Fishes...


We'd All Cast Nets.

Yesterday afternoon following a light lunch with a friend,  I began to experience that sinking feeling; weakness, fatigue, dizziness and shortness of breath. I knew what it meant.  It has been 3 weeks since the last transfusion.


Called the Cancer Center and set up an appointment for blood work, including a CBC.  They couldn't see me yesterday - too busy - so I was scheduled for first thing this morning at 7:30.  If I needed blood, and I was 99% sure I did, it would be another long day.


Turned out the BC was 6.8 and I was again in serious trouble. An order was placed for 2 units of blood. I was prepped as I waited. An antibiotic and saline IV drip was started - and I waited.  And waited. Three hours went by as blood products arrived for other patients, but not me.


Meanwhile, I had been moved into a private room with a bed; apparently they feared infection from other patients.  At least I got to remove the damned mask.  Staff had to don them whenever they came in for any reason.  They didn't seem to mind.


I was served coffee, juice, and muffins in the morning, then lunch, snacks,  anything else I wanted. What I wanted was the new blood so  I could get the hell out of there.  It is one very depressing place, believe me.


The hospital finally called with news that strange antibodies were found in my blood samples and it would be a while before they could identify the situation and release the units I needed. Nurse reported vitals (temperature, blood pressure, cardio) were normal.


The blood arrived at 1:30 and I got out of there only an hour ago.  I never heard anything more about those mysterious antibodies.  I will have to ask the Dr. when I see him next week for a followup appt..   Yes, they remembered to schedule a followup this time. But, never mind.


Yep, it was another long day.  I'm tired; too tired to cook anything and having no sense of taste, it doesn't matter much. I know I'll feel better in the morning, so I'm looking forward to a good night's sleep and a brand new day.


And so it bloody well goes.

*

8 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear of your relapse. I hope this damn thing can be resolved soon. Have a good rest tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ron, it's not a relapse. It's a progression of the disease.

      Delete
  2. shit. hope you are feeling better this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear about your illness. Surely sucks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rick, for stopping by and for the well wishes

      Delete
  4. I'm catching up here ....
    I too am saddened with the news. How frustrating. I am thinking of you. I will send telepathic health vibes via my Cajun shirt.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...