Thursday, November 28, 2013

No Thanks for Cell Phone or Surgeon


The rains have gone; the winds have not. There's been a 30' drop in temperature overnight and it isn't expected to get anywhere near yesterday's high. It looks as though the sun is going to appear sometime today, as well. 

Today's gay agenda was to include a stroll on the Boardwalk and some quiet time by the ocean, but it is far to cold and windy for that. 

That being the case, more videos are likely to be the order of the day. Last afternoon and evening, I watched a 3-part BBC series titled "Men of Rock" (no, not about musicians, silly!) about the geology of Scotland presented by Iain Stewart, Geologist.  Fascinating viewing with historic anecdotes. Prof. Stewart has a twinkle in his beautiful blue eyes and a great sense of humor. It was interesting and educational, although I knew much of the material covered.  It was the personal stories and history behind the discoveries that was captivating. At least for me. 

On a more serious note, there seems to be an intermittent problem with the cell phone. Although it is easily within hearing range it isn't receiving calls or text message alerts as they come in.  Instead, the calls go to voice mail and the text messages show up sometimes hours later.  (There is a time stamp on them, that's how I know.) Very strange. 

Of course this would happen on a holiday. My dazzling streak of good luck continues. I will wait a few hours and make an attempt to reach customer service at Virgin Mobile and see what they come up with.

I have tried to reboot, turned the unit off and back on again.  I have removed and re-installed the battery, too. Even replaced the battery, using the spare purchased for the NOLA trip.  Nothing.  

Checked the settings, nothing seems to have changed there.  At least nothing obvious, as far as I can tell. I am not tech-savvy, so nothing has changed from the original factory defaults. The Wi-Fi signal here is very strong, so I know that's not the problem either. 

The line is fine. I can still use Face Time without any problems. Perhaps a sacrifice of chargers from various devices to the Gods & Goddesses of electronics is in order. The phone is less than 3 years old. 

This is the 4th LG phone I've purchased, never had  problems in the past.  But this is the first Android/Smart Phone I've ever had.  Are these "smart-phones" programmed to go belly-up when the warranty period expires?  I wonder…

All I know is this situation will never do. I will need a reliable cell phone if (when) I am put in hospital for treatment, surgery, whatever. 

BTW, in case you're following this Cajun's Medical Misadventures, no call (land line phone) from the Christiana Surgeon's office yesterday, so I called them late in the day only to receive a voice message that the office was closed for the WEEKEND, and would reopen on Monday, December 2nd. 

Well, I must remember not to go off and die before Monday, or whenever they choose to get back to me. The local Oncologist's office reopens tomorrow, so if I need a transfusion, at least I can get that here.

More later.
*
~~~~~~~~

Note: This is the first post using a new font and larger point size that seems to agree with Blogger. The editing limitations in Blogger offer only a few text options. Other than "normal",  which seems to be too small for some readers the larger options are all headers of one kind or another.  Way too big and exceedingly unattractive for my taste. So, I tried this option. 

If you find this easier on the eyes, you may try it for yourself. I like it because it's clean, crisp and easy to read. The font is available in even the simplest text programs and is very easy to size.

**Trebuchet MS font - 18 point.  Test for Blog posts.**


3 comments:

  1. cheese louise! even ron had a pix of the empty boardwalk this morning. hopefully nothing else will go wrong before the holiday stops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your new font -- it indeed is easy to read. I use Georgia in my blog.

    I also have an Android cell phone, and one day last week, I was getting calls that went unanswered because I never heard the phone ring and people were leaving me voicemails. I thought that was strange, so I checked and found out the ringer had been turned off up in my notifications area, so that is why it was not ringing out loud. I guess that is what you are supposed to do when you go to a concert, but I had never used it, and still don't know how it got turned off, unless I accidentally did it somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This new print is MUCH better! Pretty well perfect, in fact. Makes me want to play around with my own. (And the type on my blog too!)

    A 30 degrees drop in temp? Must be like diving into a lake of icy water. Watch yer heart!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...