Wednesday, September 5, 2007

A Brand New Day!


I sat by the pool yesterday and read, listened to music, and NPR news – as I said I would. The weather was beautiful beyond imagining, and it was easy to relax and savor the moment. I was careful not to burn, but telephone calls from friends in FL, NOLA, and NY almost made me forget the time. So, I am a little pink-ish (how appropriate!) but not burned. It was a wonderful day.

What a difference a day makes…Today was the first day since returning home Labor Day evening that I ventured out and onto the roads. They were empty. Downtown was deserted. It seems the entire community heaved a sigh of relief at having survived another Season.

From reports so far, it was smashingly successful for local businesses. The restaurants are happy with the profits, but glad the busy-ness is beginning to ebb. Pretty soon they will slip into their off-season mode with nightly specials and we locals will emerge from our hidey-holes and move among the living once again. For the next few months we will catch up on our individual lives, share summer stories, and have a laugh about it all.

The Jazz Fest in October, and the Independent Film Festival in November will follow this short respite. Yes, living in a beach resort town has its drawbacks, but also its great rewards.

Soon after the Film Festival ends we are into the holiday season and the tourists will be back to shop.

Getting through those holidays will be another challenge on a personal level, yes just another series of “firsts” that I have to get beyond to move on.

On another note, I finished the last of the three books I assigned myself for summer reading, and it was a doozy. Published in 1932, written by Charles Williams, “The Place of the Lion” was well worth the wait. I had started it as my first book, but quickly knew that it was way too heavy for my scattered mind at the time. Having settled into my new sanctuary however, I was ready to take it on and take it slow so to enjoy the page turning revelations. It was worth the wait. If I continued to read it in my previous living environment, I wouldn’t have survived the experience.

More later.

*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...