Thursday, September 13, 2007

Not So Cavalier

My home telephone service has been disconnected. Unbelievable! What more can these people screw up?

Let me explain.

When I was ordered to vacate my previous living space by 7/15, I called Cavalier on 7/10 to have the service moved to the new apartment. I was told it would take up to 2 weeks to move the service and assured that I could retain the original phone number. I gave the Customer Service Rep the current address and the “move service to” address, which she read back to me for accuracy.

As the two-week mark neared I called again to verify that installation would be taking place and that the tech might require my presence to bring the line into the apartment. This was added to the work order. Two days later, I got a call at work from the technician…and this is when things began to unravel.

The address on his work order was the OLD address - this is the same work order that would have been sent to Verizon – meaning that Verizon had reopened the line at the old address. The tech was certain of all this, and he was right. Rick put in another work order for the new address (which could take another two weeks) and added an escalation request in an attempt to get the line in faster.

Didn’t happen.

During this period I spoke with CS reps: Teena, Pat, Tom, Rennie, Tony, Kevin, Rick, Latania, Bernie, Nina, and Trish. These conversations were preceded by 15 – 30 minutes listening to music and Cavalier’s PR spin, “When it needs to be done right, you can count on us.”

Yeah, right!

In early August, a bill arrived for service from 7/1 to 7/31 for the entire month of which I had only used a third. I made another call, and was told disregard the bill, that I would be sent an updated bill, and that because of the mix up and confusion, the “move service” fee would be waved.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, er’ apartment; I get a cell phone call from Rick, the tech that the line would be fired up on Aug. 11 and that he could run the line into the apartment on Aug. 13 one month and three days after the initial request to move the service. Fortunately, I was off that day and available for access, or to answer any questions.

Rick arrived on time and completed every request. He was finished in less than an hour.

Oh, and the phone number had been changed, but at least I had phone service.

A week later I was on the phone with the billing dept. asking if I was still being billed for the old number, and asked when the updated bill would arrive. CS rep. Carol told me any charges would be combined, that the adjusted bill would arrive soon. She again verified the new address and mailing address.

So, a Cavalier bill arrived this weekend and when I opened it was stunned. Not only was I charged for all of July, but late fees had been added, as well as the “outside move service” fee that I had been assured would be waived due to all the confusion…uh huh. Also, the bill was mailed to the OLD address!!! Hello? Anybody there? Never mind.

I placed a call to Cavalier yesterday morning. After hitting a wall with an automated CS voice (I couldn’t get beyond – do you want to make your payment now? – or you can talk to me as if I was a live Rep. Um, no) I said “CANCEL SERVICE”!!! That did it and I was routed to a real live and mouth-breather, I mean, person. I related the entire epic to which she (Tia) was not terribly responsive, and told me she could knock off the move service fee, but that the two months service and late fees would have to be paid. I asked to speak with a supervisor or I would cancel my service. There were no supervisors available at that hour, she said (8:30 am.?) and I would have to call back later. I told her to send me an updated bill with one month’s service deducted, and without the late fees and I would gladly pay that. She said she couldn’t do that and that she would only deduct the “move service” fee. I told her to send the bill and I would take it up with corporate billing next month.

OK, I arrive home last evening and the service is already turned off. I said that I MIGHT cancel service. By refusing to pay the late fees it seems I have become a bad risk, and I have no recourse.

Anyway, I called Verizon this morning to get new service installed ASAP. I got right through to a very helpful CS rep, Tom, who walked me through the exact plan I wanted and could afford at this time. New service will be installed on 9/18 – FIVE days!!! A far cry from TWO WEEKS. Unlimited local calling service that will cost a little more than half of what I paid for Cavalier. This all took place in less than a half hour.

This melodrama has been nothing short of hell. Hello? Hello? Anybody there? Not at Cavalier.

More later.

*

1 comment:

  1. Why, oh why did you decide to go with Cavalier? I had a similar experience with Comcast. Billing for service not provided. Unresponsive and arrogant attitude when I called to relate my non-service for which I was being billed. My solution? Verizon. Welcome aboard!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...