Thursday, September 11, 2008

September 11, 2001: Never Forget

Though it was seven years ago I still remember the pain, fear, anger. Returning from a festive breakfast with friends and switching on the small TV in the kitchen to catch the final hour of Today on NBC I stared at the stunning images, the confused and befuddled talking heads and their reaction as the second airliner slammed into the second tower it was at once surreal and anticipated.

I was reminded of the first attack in 93 when the bomb designed to topple the towers went off in the basement parking facility.

I was working for a vile software company at the time and when the always on NYC radio station went silent – dead air – somehow I instinctively knew what happened. Don’t ask, but when my supervisor wondered aloud what happened to the signal, I blurted out, “there’s probably been an attack on the World Trade Center.” There were giggles all around. Never mind.

Tuning to a local station initially provided little information, but gradually as reports were verified (remember those times?) it became clear that I had been right.

How, I don’t know to this day.

Today, seven years later, as the pomp and b*llsh*t hit the airwaves I was saddened by what 9/11 has become. I was told that NBC ran the video of that 2001 morning again today. If that is true I am so sorry for those subjected to the violence replayed for nothing more than ratings.

I know people who lost family that day. I lost friends that day, and the world lost Fr. Mychal Judge*; a gay Roman Catholic Priest who ministered to the first responders and was ultimately carried from the rubble by those who loved him and to whom he had ministered and cared for in life.

To my mind this was not a day to replay the events of the past, but to reflect on them and move forward with the treasured memories of what we all lost seven years ago.

And so it goes.

*h/t Mad Priest for the image. I lifted it, OK?

2 comments:

  1. I remembered Peggy and this post made me cry. I do remember and thanks for making that happen.
    GG

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...