Saturday, July 4, 2009

Holiday, Schmoliday!!!

Getting to and from job #2 yesterday was arduous and stressful. Traffic was already heavy as I made my way to the park-n-ride taking 45 minutes to drive the 6 miles from the apartment. the restaurant was quite busy for lunch and even with 5 servers it was hard to keep up with the flow. Fortunately, probably due to the bright sun and low humidity the customers were in happy mode and that always makes the work day go well.

In a curious twist at job #2, I seem to have been accepted into the fold by the long time bartenders who pretty much run the show when the bosses are elsewhere. One of them can be a real overbearing asshat, so he may have gotten used to the fact that I ain't going nowhere. The others were standoff-ish until a week or two ago. But this past week they have actively engaged in conversation as I enjoyed my after-shift cocktail. I like them all, so this turn of events is most welcome. Also, the fact that I play fair and assure that all servers get tables in rotation may be another reason. Favourites are a no-no and because of that it is my belief that the servers appreciate what I try to do.

Getting back to the park-n-ride proved to be yet another challenge as I stood at the bus stop watching bus after bus pass without stopping because they were full. Forty minutes later - having added additional buses to the route - an empty bus showed up to pick up the nine others waiting along with me. The traffic heading north was fairly light and I made relatively good time back to the apartment where I shed my sweaty work drag, showered and had a G&T.

Turned on CNN for a news update and it continued to be non-stop coverage of Michael Jackson. Nothing about Palin, or Afghanistan. No news on the latest airliner crash. How many times must that "last rehearsal video" be shown? We get it, already. He's DEAD!!! Turned off the TV and turned on music. Best thing I could have done. Eva Cassidy was just right for my mood as I prepped supper.

It's the fourth of July and I have the day off...oh, blessed day! The sky is clear and the sun is bright. I'm told that traffic with those attempting to move about, attend parties and cook outs, hit the beach, or just play in the sun is backed up for miles. A friend who usually visits the Farmers Market on Saturday mornings called to say that the Coastal Highway was bumper to bumper and barely moving, stretching as far as the eye could see. There is no way she'd ever get across and enter the roadway heading south.

No invites on the calendar, anyway. My gay agenda this holiday is to get in some reading, listen to some music, watch a film, and do some heavy duty cooking for the freezer. Beef short ribs in a tangy orange/barbecue sauce is first up, followed by a dutch oven of chicken smothered in garlic, onions and peppers.

A very dry martini is likely to materialize at cocktail hour. Just one. There is work to be done at job #1 tomorrow morning, but no more about that...that's for tomorrow.

The only thing missing for a proper July 4th celebration is an outdoor grilled dinner of spare ribs, roasted red potatoes and corn on the cob, but I'll get by just fine.

And so it goes.
*

4 comments:

  1. I hope your July 4th was a splendid as you described it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you had a great day off.

    What I noticed this last week was that I hardly watched TV, J. didn't have one and on the road I barely watched a episode of one or another, just a check-up of the weather-channel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have again posted another very interesting day in your life. You are a writer par excellence! I enjoy tremendously reading your slice of life postings.

    Bartenders - almost every one I knew was a self-involved, stuck up bastard. But then it is a stressful job in which the bartender is dealing with the dregs of society. Maybe that is what hardens them. I have known a few nice bartenders and those are the ones I will never forget because they are so rare. I'm glad you have been accepted and entered the rarefied realm of their clique. However, please don’t develop that world weary attitude that so many of the poor bartenders display.

    I like hearing about your experiences on Job #2 because that job is a perfect fit for your personality. Someone was very wise to hire you as the host with the most. I predict you will be in that job as long as you want (or can stand.) I know you always have a smile on your face to greet customers and are very efficient in seating them, thus making their day a pleasant experience. Customer service people like you are rare.

    Your life has evolved in ways that you never dreamed two or three years ago but I believe that your life is richer and more satisfying now than it was during all those pot lucks and volunteer days. Where are those "friends" now? You’re finding the only person you can count on is yourself and you’re doing a pretty darn good job!

    You have made a nice life for yourself. Now if the spineless Dems can break away from their corporate owners (the health care industry) and pass a single payer health plan, you will be set. Don't hold your breath though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you got to enjoy a very well deserved day off!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome if they are positive and/or helpful.
If they are simply a tirade or opinionated bullshit, they will be removed, so don't waste your time, or mine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...